All Small Six Throttle linkage with headers

This relates to all small sixes
I'm in the process of replacing the exhaust on my 1966 Mustang automatic with the 200 i6. I installed a set of headers that I got from vintageonline. The headers went in great and they look good. But, the headers are blocking the throttle arm. I have no easy solution to this problem.

I can attempt to bend or fashion a new throttle arm, but that's not ideal.

I called Lokar to ask about converting it to a throttle cable system. The tech at Lokar said they have no direct answer to my problem. The throttle on the carb is going the wrong direction. And he had no answer for the kick down on the transmission.

I know other people have installed headers on this engine, and have found a solution to the throttle arm problem. I'd rather not attempt to engineer a solution to a problem with a known working solution.

To complicate things further, I replaced the Autolite 1100 carb with the Holley Sniper Autolite 1100 EFI system last summer. That's actually what is prompting the exhaust replacement. The exhaust was a leaky mess and the O2 sensor was getting garbage values and the EFI system couldn't properly learn.

Has anyone here solved this problem? I'm sure I could make the Lokar work, but the bracket at the "carb" assembly is an issue, Lokar says they have nothing to solve that. Has anyone made a throttle cable system work on this engine/car/transmission combo work? I've seen several posts similar to this, but I can't tell what the full solutions were.

Thanks

I had a similar problem. Tried to bend the throttle linkage and even tried to cut/weld it to try and get it over the header. I ended up converting to a cable solution. I followed the instructions for converting using a 69 pedal but am not real happy with the cable itself. I nicked it trying to strip some of the protective shield off. Would rather find one that is a bit more adjustable. But this did work out for my Autolite 1100.

Attachments

• 20210329_205625.jpg
    20210329_205625.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 47
Here's my plan, though my car is still a stripped shell. I plan on keeping the original throttle arm and kickdown arm ( for my C-4).
Here's where I get crazy, I bought an NOS kickdown arm ( the '65 style which bolts to the arm) from ebay and think I can install that beneath the dash ( cannot weld because you can't install it then). Since the arm bolts on, (sticking straight up , above the gas pedal), then I can install a cable conversion from that point.
I may have to make a cable anchor point towards the carb, that'd be easy. If it actually works ( it should !), then I can choose to remove the unneeded end of the throttle rod if it interferes with the exhaust header...
That's my plan so far.
DannyG
Link didn't work, description of item to search for:to NOS C-4 kickdown arm: 1964-65-66-67-68-69 Ford Mustang Convertible Kick Down Lever for convertibl 3373

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. Tried to bend the throttle linkage and even tried to cut/weld it to try and get it over the header. I ended up converting to a cable solution. I followed the instructions for converting using a 69 pedal but am not real happy with the cable itself. I nicked it trying to strip some of the protective shield off. Would rather find one that is a bit more adjustable. But this did work out for my Autolite 1100.

What bracket did you use at the carb to terminate the cable? And do you have a manual or an automatic? If it's an automatic, how did you handle the transmission kickdown with a cable?

How does the 69 pedal conversion work?

There R several things confounded together in the description confusing me (easily done). Sounds like you want a Sniper, headers, and automatic. Set those up then get a kick down & throttle system. What do you have for gas peddle?.

A Mav w/the "over the V/C bracket'n cable" might work (the bracket goes ona hold-down bolt @ the carb base/log).

Back