All Small Six Timing Help

This relates to all small sixes
I am needing some timing help for my 200 with a sniper 2300 and hyperspark ignition. I just finished rebuilding it. The engine specs are:
200 ci
Aluminum VI/CI head
10:1 compression(flat top pistons)
Schneider 135-H cam(270/270 Duration. .440 lift)
Factory non adjustable rocker arms
Sniper 2300
Hyperspark Distributor
C4 transmission

Do I start at 12deg or do I add in degrees that a vacuum distributor would add?
Does this combo need more initial timing?
What would the overall timing need to be?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
First, I would get in touch with Ambler Racing, tell him what you have and he can guide you. Might need a re-curve for your distributor for the best performance.
If you just want to run what you have, start with twelve degrees, vacuum advance disconnected, when warmed up, set idle speed, adjust base timing + and - approximately 5 degrees and see if idle improves. Re-set idle, connect vacuum to distributor ( if you have vacuum advance). Then test drive, listen carefully for spark knock, in high gear, under load, almost “bogging”. If you don’t hear anything, raise your base timing by 3-5 degrees at a time until you do hear a hint of knock, then back the timing off 3 degrees, retest for spark knock. This is not the best procedure, but will get you started
Talk to Bill Amber for best results 👍

I am needing some timing help for my 200 with a sniper 2300 and hyperspark ignition. I just finished rebuilding it. The engine specs are:
200 ci
Aluminum VI/CI head
10:1 compression(flat top pistons)
Schneider 135-H cam(270/270 Duration. .440 lift)
Factory non adjustable rocker arms
Sniper 2300
Hyperspark Distributor
C4 transmission

Do I start at 12deg or do I add in degrees that a vacuum distributor would add?
Does this combo need more initial timing?
What would the overall timing need to be?

Any help is appreciated.
The big6 engine needs more base advance with a heathy cam. Roughly from 10* (stock) to 14 or so. Would imagine the small6 would be the same. It's more airflow specific than engine specific. Also the factory advance curve is relatively lazy, it needs more advance sooner, relative to the stock curve, particularly with a big cam.
But I can't advise on the small6 from first-hand experience. Try the factory base timing +4* and tune from there.
Nice engine set up BTW! Sweet for sure.

Back