Torque Plate

66200i6":3kli81r7 said:
We plan on using the plate as well as torqueing the thermostat housing and timing chain cover in place during the boring process.

Must have meant "water pump" instead...

Does anyone know how much HP a 200 block can handle before.. :boom:

If I remember correctly the material is Malinite (there are reasons for this). The raw piece was 1.75 thick by about 26 long. The difficult part of this was creating the drawing. This thing is not symmetrical. Only the bores were on a single centerline and of a constant dimension from one another. The fastener holes were all over the place. I had to create a template to get the measurements and then check that against a test peace to confirm.

Here are a couple of Views to satisfy the curiosity.

EndViewTrqPlt.JPG

PlanViewTrqPlt.JPG

SideViewTrqPlt.JPG

Now to find the time to make it to the machine shop.

Man, that is SUPER SWEET!!

Would you be willing to rent it out when you are done having your block bored?

How much did it cost to make?

I'm afraid it will end up costing more than I can put a dollar figure to. Mostly time. With the amount of hours I work at Boeing I probably would have been ahead in both time and having the rebuild done by a straight at purchase for the plate.

I do plan on “Lendingâ€￾ this out. I think the only problem will be the delivery (weight). The best thing for now would be to have Waterhouse Machine (Tacoma, WA.) do your work. They will probably have the plate for some time.

This thing is not light (haven’t weighed it yet). I will need to make a crate by next weekend to travel to the machinist. I will only ask for donations to defer the cost of my time and to make some improvements to the accuracy of my data set.

Ric.

Ric, the plate is a beautiful work of craftsmanship on your part.

Lets be realistic, what do you really thing you will gain on a real dyno test plate vs no plate?

For the average guy with a six cylinder is the pain worth the gain??? William

WSA111

Some people are drivers and some are builders. I have often spent more time and effort doing something for the experience and since of acomplishment. We tend to learn more that way.

You should not be so critical of something you don't understand.

I have built many race engines and street engines over the years and yes it makes a difference. The main difference is ring seal. You surely have heard different stories on how to seat rings. Put a load on it. Start it up without water. The list goes on and on. Some people will tell you to run cast rings because they will seat really fast. Sure they will, more friction and more wear.

You can build a good engine without torque plates, but you can build a better one with them.

Stubby":7ay818la said:
I have often spent more time and effort doing something for the experience and sense of acomplishment.

You and I would probably get along great.

Everybody told me to not waste my time with the 1 bbl carb.....
I'm not done with it yet!!! ;) Faster times to come...

Curious what the torque plate weighs?

If you are going to build an aluminum headed motor we will build an aluminum torque plate. Less shipping charges.

Stubby has it just about right. The experiance the advantage ect. If I am going to put this much effort into the building of anything I like to do whatever I can to do it rignt.

A couple of advantages include quicker break in because of the "True Bore" and increased life of consistant cylinder pressure.

I am looking forward to the whole project.

We have different expectations, too. What margin for error is there on a Boeing aircraft? Not much I guess. :p

Plus, I can see the enjoyment in this sub-process as part of the journey. The same reason my friend brews his beer, rather than just buying it.

The physical effect of the torque plate can be easily measured after use by measuring the out-of-round with it removed following final hone.

I am curious to know if the block will be warm when bored and honed.

Regards, Adam.

addo":2zzo6ckj said:
I am curious to know if the block will be warm when bored and honed..

Nascar teams do that.
There was a thread about hot boring and honing in the "hardcore tech" section (which is really where this thread belongs....

Stubby, I do fully understand to superior sealing of the cylinders.

How much do you gain on a leakdown test or have you seen any dyno #'s with the improved ring seal??

Just would like to see the gain %, & of course its different depending on the engine manufacturer & the type of use the engine was built for.

The major problem is just finding a machine shop that has a torque plate for the small six engine.

If you did engine work for childs & albert you may not have the answer, because all their engines were done with a plate, advise William

If I remember correctly the material is Malinite (there are reasons for this).

This material (spelling?) follows the characteristics of a casting more closely not only in grain but thermal expansion as well. The idea is that when boring and honing is done at temp, the expansion of the material will hopefully stretch the head studs the same amount as the stock head.

That is the plan at least. Like I said earlier, all you can do is try your best.

Ric.

It is well established that it is beneficial to use a honing plate. Also that the gains are small. So what? I remember reading an article by a well known gunwriter who went on a tour of the Holland & Holland gunmaking firm in England. They had many fine guns on display, lots of fancy engraving, fine woodwork, etc. But one rather plain looking double gun had a price tag for twice as much money. When the scribe enquired why this was so, the tour guide replied "Because this one is beautiful on the inside" 8)

Why bother hotrodding an engine in the first place? Especially a lowly inline six? Answer: because you WANT to. Go for it! There is a certain satisfaction gained from knowing you did the best you could. Enjoy :D
Joe

Lazy JW":3qact3zi said:
Why bother hotrodding an engine in the first place? Especially a lowly inline six? Answer: because you WANT to. Go for it! There is a certain satisfaction gained from knowing you did the best you could.

That, and........
I like all the reactions I get when I tell people my 1 bbl 200 runs 13's in the 1/4!!!

Yeah. I dig the one-barrel carb thing,too. Hmmmmmmmn. 'Wonder if you'd get the(nearly..)the same result using a 230/250 Chevy-6 :p ? OO6./Secret-Agent-May'am.

A little off topic here, but....
Rochester 1 jet is a bigger carb, should make more power.

Some dude in South America (Venezuela maybe?) is making 1000 RWHP from a turbocharged Chevy 250 on methanol.
I would be happy with 300 HP!

ALCOHOL + Boost will give some fantistic #'s

If you want power from any engine, especially the log intake heads we have the blower boost as a godsend. Nuff said

Back