All Small Six Transmission Question

This relates to all small sixes

myrod1937

Hi, Would this T-5 transmission be a good, and "easy" swap to 1979 200 Six? And, would it handle the six ok? If so, $300 a good price? Thanks!

1352-155Ford 1987 T-Bird Cougar 2.3 L4 Turbo WCX3.703.972.341.481.000.79

The T5 is an excellent swap. For the small block six the preferred T5 is from a V8/with V8 gearing and OD ratios. The listed xx-155 T5 may not figure into a "easy/Simple" swap.

with extreme (turbo boost) 1st gear 3.97:1 and less stretched OD at 1 : .79 the xx-155 vs typical V8 geared T5 at 2.95 or 3.35 :1 1st and .68 OD T5 will make it more worth your effort.

hav fun

. ..

61 Comet 250/ Aftermarket Z-xx251 T5 - - 63 falcon Wagon 170 / NWC xx-126 T5 -- - '74 Maverick SC 250 /xx-218 T5

Yes they are easy to swap onto a 1979 200 Six when using the correct Adapter Plate. Price sounds like its decent if its' in good condition and yes it will be able to handle the Six just fine. Only thing left is to know what rear axel gear ratio that you have now as to if the gearing is a good match most of these swaps will use the 5.0 V8 trans but many have done the 4 cylinder T5's too. Good Luck

Very easy swap. And yes you do need adapter plates. There are no direct bolt ups. I am almost finished with my T5 swap on my 65 mustang. The biggest issue I am having is sourcing parts. I am converting from a Auto to a manual so I am having a hard time sourcing some 6 cylinder parts that are no longer reproduced.

No none of the older 1960 to 1965 132 Tooth Flywheels and their Bell Housings, the Dagenham 4 Speed Bells, or a 1966 C60A-6394-C 136 Tooth Bell the first bigger Flywheel that used the 3.03 Tran on a Small Six or the 1967 to 1973 C7ZZ-6394-A Bell Housings can work without using the correct Adapter Plates. It also serves a second purpose not just to adapt / Convert from the 2.77 Bells, Dagenham Bells, or one of the 3.03 Bells of their Trans Mounting Bolt Pattern's to Fit a T5 Trans Mounting Pattern but its also needed because the T5 Input Shaft is a little longer than the older 3.03 Transmissions Input Shaft. It's also like that on the 1977 to 1980 SROD Transmissions Input Shafts are the same size as the other 3.03 Trans used with a Bell Housing Design Number of D9BC-6392 CA. There is only one Bell Housing that I know of that will bolt up a T5 without an adapter plate these are the hard to find a late Ford 4 Speed T4 Bell Housing that was used in the few 1981 & 1982 Fox Chassis cars (has a High Mount Starter) they have a Cable Clutch Release Arm. I think that Bell Housing is a Casting / Design Number of E1ZR-6394-AA.

OK, I have a E1ZR-6394-AA bell housing, SO, the 5.0 V8 T-5 transmission will be a direct bolt on to the 6 cylinder?? No adapter needed? But the 1352-155, for the 2.3 L4, will not without an adapter? So I should wait until I can find a good T-5 from a 5.0 V/8?

No there is no difference in using either the 5.0 or Turbo 4 Cylinder T5 Transmissions as far as bolting up either T5 Case their Mounting Bolt Pattern's will fit onto that T4 Bell Housing, so your good to go then. It will all come's down to using the correct Rear Axel Gear Ratio because of the lower first gear used in those 4 Cylinder T5's.

Hi Bubba,,,,,,,,,,,,,can't follow you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you are saying that either T5 transmission will work equally well (from the 5.0 or the 4 cylinder). Also, having the E1ZR-6394-AA bell housing doesn't make any difference, I'll still need an adapter? As far as the Rear Axel Gear Ratio goes, I haven't gone there yet.

Hi Bubba,,,,,,,,,,,,,can't follow you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you are saying that either T5 transmission will work equally well (from the 5.0 or the 4 cylinder). Also, having the E1ZR-6394-AA bell housing doesn't make any difference, I'll still need an adapter? As far as the Rear Axel Gear Ratio goes, I haven't gone there yet.
Hi myrod, here is what I am or was trying to say above: with that excellent EIZR-6394-ZZ Bell Housing these are your options for a T5 Transmission.

1. Yes you can use a 1984 to 1993 T5 Transmission from a common 5.0 (Fox Chassis Mustang or Capri) and it will bolt it right up to that EIZR-6394-ZZ Bell Housing (just like the one site member "super4ord" has Posted for you above) so with that Bell you can use it without needing to have an Adapter Plate. These are about the easiest swaps with the best gearing of the T5's that most people are using behind the Small Ford Six's.

2. Note that yes you can also use one of the fairly common 1994 & 1995 5.0 T5 Transmissions with just as good of results, you would only need to swap out the Front Input Shaft (they are to Long) so by changing it out to the earlier 1993 down T5 Input Shaft then those can bolt right up to your Bell Housing too without needing to use an Adapter Plate.

3. Yes there is also the 1984 to 1986 2.3L Turbo T5’s used in the less common SVO Mustangs or one from the 1985 to 1987 2.3L Turbo Thunderbird T5’s these Transmissions will also bolt up to that EIZR-6394-ZZBell Housing without needing to use an Adapter Plate. There is a different Crankshaft Pilot required that you will need to use that site member "RockLord" was kind enough to post for you just above. And you all ready know about the having the Right Rear Axel Gear Ratio that needs to used. So other than those issues to address those Transmissions will also work and handle the power of a Ford Small Six too. Hope that helps you, good luck on your swap.

Back