This relates to all small sixes

What Transmission to use?

• Total voters

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy Guys,

Looking to get some input on the transmission I should use for my turbo aussie 200. It'll be a big bell motor so the sky is the limit. Currently I have an SVO WC T5 but there are worries she's gonna blow with 470hp. Currently I have a 3.25 8" posi as well. Using an auto transmission has been mentioned as it will make the car faster without boost loss. What do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Toploader 4-speeds are very durable and you can still get parts for them.

If you are going to run/race on the street or track from a standing start then an automatic is the best way to go.
It will let you power brake and build boost before you launch.

As previously mentioned, there will be no loss of power between shifts.

There are aftermarket companies that will provide several power levels of AOD or any other transmission to handle the power.
Transmissions with higher stall speed converters are around $3000.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the T5 and consider the TKO/TKX a logical successor for higher power handling. Automatic may be fractionally faster but rowing thru gears in a 3 Pedal - 5 Speed is logarithmic more fun (for me) ...

> besides, I never really learned to drive an Automatic tranny ...

. .
= nine pedals : '63 Falcon 170 4dr Wagon - '85 NWC T5 Mustang GT ( I rebuilt from $100 xx126 core).
/ '74 Maverick 250/Vortech SC - '93 Factory Cobra GT T5 ( I refreshed from xx218 $200 core),
/ '61 Comet 250-TriPower - Summit AP Cobra Spec T5 (xx251) @ $1800.

heve fun

voted that way as I like the OD and DD convenience (not that it's 'faster').
My vision 4 these cars has all ways been SCCA livery (and use) -
lower (1 inch?), frame connectors, bigger discs (frnt only?), R&P, etc, etc, etc
and lastly, the use around the cones improves over stick (or @ strip). Thnx 4 askin !

If you are truly making 470hp than a T5 is out and so is the 8" rearend. I vote 4R70 and a 8.8 from and Explorer. Both AOD and 4R70 would need tunnel massaging (I think)

If you are truly making 470hp than a T5 is out and so is the 8" rearend. I vote 4R70 and a 8.8 from and Explorer. Both AOD and 4R70 would need tunnel massaging (I think)
A built 8" won't handle that? I have a very nice Quick Performance pumpkin, unless its the axles that become the problem.
Can a T5 not be built?
What kind of power should i bring it down to to prevent stuff from blowing up?

5 votes but I see the 'main thread' saying "I'd never neuter my veicle w/a auto." (paraphrased, but statement intact).
Not sure if U R considering it Ryan.

A built 8" won't handle that? I have a very nice Quick Performance pumpkin, unless its the axles that become the problem.
Can a T5 not be built?
What kind of power should i bring it down to to prevent stuff from blowing up?
A G Force T5 should hold that power but they are $$$ A Z series T5 will hold if not using sticky tires at that power level. I have blown up SOOOOO many 8" rear center sections with 100 less HP, mostly the Spiders and the pinion as it is small on the 8" but never broken an axle in one. So if that is what you plan to run at a drag strip have a back plan to get the car home. Street driving it, both will survive. JMO

Back