TURBOCHARGER-SUPERCHARGER

hasa68mustang

Famous Member
VIP
Hello everyone after looking at does10s post I saw what kind of turbo he has, well anyway I found some similar ones on ebay and they are pretty cheap and was wondering if they would work on a fairly stock I6, also I need to convince my dad that this would be better than swithching to my 289, that he keeps trying to get me to put in (yes I know most kids would choose 8 over 6) but after all this research and help I wouldnt want it to goto waste (not that its the reason why I dont want top switch) I kind of do and dont want to do the switch but I dont know the motors history, and it may be missing internals, I got it on ebay with a bunch of other parts off ebay and havent touched it...... but anyway heres the links and for those of you who are unable to access ebay heres the specs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7936192406&category=33742&sspagename=WDVW
Garrett T04B oil-cooled turbocharger. The a/r on the exhaust side is .84 and on the compressor side is .60. The Inlet on the compressor side is 2.75 inch and the outlet is 2.60 inch. The exhaust inlet is tang divided for fast spooling and has the standard T3 flange as seen on most aftermarket turbo manifolds. The exhaust outlet is 2.75". The compressor wheel is an S-trim and the exhaust wheel is an O-trim. The shaft spins freely and has no play.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7936194632&category=33742&sspagename=WDVW
Garrett T04B oil-cooled turbocharger. The a/r on the exhaust side is 1.15 and on the compressor side is .60. The Inlet on the compressor side is 3 inch and the outlet is 2 inch. The exhaust inlet is tang divided for fast spooling and has the standard T4 flange as seen on most aftermarket turbo manifolds. The exhaust outlet is 2.75". The compressor wheel is a T-trim and the exhaust wheel is a P-trim. The shaft spins freely and has no play.

well thanks for the help in advance! Tommy

The second one sounds like the same turbo I picked up about 2 years ago for my 289 that I wanted to turbo. The problem is that the compressor side is slightly to small to create enough air flow to supply a motor over 250 cubes. The turbo I picked up came off of a diesel so there's no telling if I'd beable to get it to work for me anyways. I'm hoping that I'll beable to find a smaller turbine housing later and use it on a 200. Or a larger compressor housing for a larger motor. Can anyone tell me what the difference between a diesel turbo and gas turbo would be? Later.

I was also looking at superchagers today, what would I look for in one to know if it would be ok? I found one on ebay, the specs are as follows:
# Fits engines up to 825 horsepower
# Maximum airflow: 1,200 CFM
# Maximum boost pressure: 26 PSI
# Absolute maximum impeller speed: 55,000 RPM
# Adiabatic efficiency: 73%

thats all i can find, any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks, Tommy

Also I think I convinced my dad that the 6 is the way to go, I explained to him why and he agreed, I showed him some stuff and he liked it, so hopefully I will not be N/A by the end of the year!

That is about 3 times the CFM that you'd ever need for a 200 or 250. That's more suited for a SBC or SBF in the 400 cid range. Look for one that makes about 600 CFM. A 200 only needs about 400 CFM to make 15 lbs of boost. Hope this helps.

If you're serious about this, the first thing you should do is pick up a copy of Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes. It's somewhat dated when it comes to specific hardware recommendations, but it is a wealth of knowledge on how to size and install and tune a turbo.

The second thing you need to do is to learn to read a turbo map (instructions are in MacInnes' book) You really need to understand what size turbo fits what size engines and why.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that ANY T04 is likely to be too large for a street driven 200; if you're building a racecar, that's another story. A medium to large T03 (50 or 60 trim) would seem to be a much better fit

lol only 3 times huh? anyone kno the specs of mustangaroos? the reason I listed the T04 was it was almost what does 10s car has I believe, but thanks for the info, I will look to see where I can get that book, thanks again, Tommy

It takes a bit more:

A 200 CID engine consumes 100 CI of air per revolution at 100% volumetric efficiency. In the real world 85% VE is more likely so call it 85 cu in per rev

At 6000 RPM, that's 510,000 Cu in or 295 cu. ft. To run 15 lbs of boost, you double your pressure but you do not double your airflow. figure something like a 75% increase or about 500 CFM.

However CFM ratingson a turbo are not very descriptive of anything. You really need to get the map and read it. What you want is the SMALLEST turbo that will gib\ve you the performance that you're looking for. Larger turbos can make more boost and thus more power but it comes at the expense of increased lag.

hehe I know... I was looking at turbos and all that air stuff and memorized a bunch, and now I know alot more! but anyway thansk for your help and dont worry the next time I post some messages about if this will work I will know what I'm talking about! Thanks again, Tommy

Back