Valve adjustment question?

A

Anonymous

I was reading in the Factory Manual about adjusting valves and the 65-66 manual has a very detailed explanation on checking for valve clearance but it applies to Non-adjustable rockers.

Can someone point me in the direction of some information on setting adjustable rockers.... Do I need a later model book???

I am trying to learn as much as I can about all of this, but there are a lot of different procedures for different setups....

Also, the manual is using one of those famous Ford tools to bottom the valves and check for clearance, what do you all use instead of the "Ford Tool"

This is all starting to make sense to me now. I am going to tear off the rocker assembly this weekend, thougth I might play around with the old setup and figure things out as I tear it apart, nothing like looking inside to really see how things work together....

It's really easy Jim, all you need is a 7/16" wrench. I'm not clear about your description of the Ford manual. Why would it describe how to adjust non-adjustable rockers???

Anyhow, once you know the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed) you just set them to zero lash plus 1/2 or 3/4 a turn preload. Just start on #1 follow the firing order.

BTW, check your PM.

It was not for an adjustment, but to check lash for replacement of longer or shorter rods..... If I am correct....

The great thing about hydraulic lifters is that they can compensate a whole lot for excessive preload in the valvetrain. For this reason, you just just eyeball it. Once the slop between the rocker tip and valve stem dissappears, crank down another half turn and you're done.

Now that I can look inside the engine and actually play with things.. this is all starting to make more sense....

I get it.

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

Who would have thunk it!!!

Once I get the new head with the Roller rockers this will be a lot of fun...
Why was I so afraid to go in here.... I think I like working inside the engine.... I am tearing this head off tomorrow....

SOAKING THOSE MANIFOLD BOLTS...... Any bets on how many break. The entire maniflold is made of rust.

I bet for the one closest to the firewall on top. That has happened to me on two different occasions. Starting to think it might be my fault.

Leave the manifold bolts until the head is off. Much easier. Use the correct six point socket, too. Most of the bolts are through drilled, so you can get solvent/cleaner in each end.

Back