What camshaft would be best with my setup?

Believe it or not, the manufacturer of my converter is.. Ford!! Six cylinder torque converters have the starter ring gear on the torque converter, so a V8 torque converter will not work, and those are the only converters that most places (Summit, Jegs, etc) sell. I sent my original torque converter to Champion Converters in Southern Indiana and had them rebuild it and put a higher stall in it. It's definitely 2200 rpm. Cleaned it, put a new ring gear on it, and rebuilt it for much cheaper than a price of a new one.

200ci66":3extabqr said:
Believe it or not, the manufacturer of my converter is.. Ford!! Six cylinder torque converters have the starter ring gear on the torque converter, so a V8 torque converter will not work, and those are the only converters that most places (Summit, Jegs, etc) sell. I sent my original torque converter to Champion Converters in Southern Indiana and had them rebuild it and put a higher stall in it. It's definitely 2200 rpm. Cleaned it, put a new ring gear on it, and rebuilt it for much cheaper than a price of a new one.

I expect that 144, 170, and 200 engines have torque converters with integral ring gears, but my 250 uses a SBF setup: 157-tooth flexplate with ring gear, accordinginly sized bellhousing, and SBF torque converter (I have a "breakaway" TCI torque converter).

Running the Clay Smith 274/274/108, which has always run great for me off the line and at high RPM. Idle was very bad, but now with MSD 6AL idle is the best its ever been. The low vacuum and lopey idle would probably be accentuated though, with a 200.

Thanks
Bob

Back