what is a stock 64 200 w/c4 tranny worth

A

Anonymous

i have a chance to buy a 200 out of a 64 stang have to take the auto c4 tranny with it or you cant take engine stinks but i guess i need to take it if i want the engine what im i looking at in a price range for it it runs sounds great no leaks or smoke it has 64k miles what is a fair price

Free is always good. Try beer (a case of), or other preferred drink. Otherwise offer what you feel comfortable paying. I'd stop at $100.

CobraSix":xwjjyfgt said:
If it's stock out of a 64.5, it is a 170, not a 200. Make sure to check the numbers.

Quite true. However, Ford did produce 200s in 64 and put them in the Fairlanes. This could be one of those engines, but if it is it will be a 4-main block instead of the preferred 7-main.

[edit] IMO, the 4-main 200 is not worth much, so I'd pay only what I felt the tranny was worth. If the engine and tranny are both in good condition, then $200 or so wouldn't be out of line. If they were buildable cores, I'd go about 1/4 of that amount.

I think it would be better if you got the casting number off the block and check to see if the tag is still on the tranny. That way you know what you are looking at and it would be easier for us to determine value.

not to sound stupid but where do you look on the blocks to see what the numbers are?

You should be able to locate the block casting number on the passenger side of the engine, above the pail rail just forward of the starter. The code should read something like this for an early 4-main 200: C3OE-6015-C. What you want to know are the first 3 characters of the code. That will tell you the year, and what model vehicle the engine was designed for.

ok it is a 65 mustang and the casting number on the block says the following D8DE-6015-DA let me know what it is and he wants to sell the whole car for 900 is it worth it? i can start it up and it drives fine what ya think?

I can tell you this much, the D8 means it's a 78 block. If it were a 65 it would start with C5 or C6. Can't help you in determining if the car is worth the money, I thought you were going after the engine/trans. Maybe one of the Mustang crowd will help you with value. :(

78 out of a granada.. i know the local pick n pull here has 'em plentiful for a $100. tranny extra 50.

All things considered, its probably a 200, due to the lil effort it takes to put the 250 in stang and clearence issues. But just to be sure, count the bolts on the water pump 250 is 4, 200 is 3.. i think the 250 is 2 inches taller too, but i dont know the exact dimensions.

if its a 250 what would it be worth would it be worth the 350 hes asking for just the engine and tranny or is it better to buy the whole car for 900

What is the condition of the car? So long as there is a car (not too much rust) $900 may not be bad...you may be able to part it out or rebuild it.

Slade

Back