Which motor mounts? 1965 mustang with 250 and AOD

eds1965coupe

I am putting a 250 with an AOD transmission in a 1965 mustang coupe. The Internet is full of advice regarding the choice of motor mounts. I'd like to hear from people who have actually done this swap and achieved both hood clearance and steering component clearance. I will be using an autolite 2100 carb on a modified log head.

Thanks so much!

Ideally, you'd use '69/70 Mustang 250 mounts. They are special, set wider and lower than any 144/170/200 mount combination. You will not find a set.. (not being pessimistic, they just don't exist) If you have time, try even finding a replacement motor mount, they are non-existant. I have a set that I got from my newerish step Dad from when he swapped a 289/4spd into his 250/3spd car. I'll have to see if I can get my buddy to restart the server that hosts my images, he has pictures of said mounts. If not I can take more tonight.

Now that you know the Ford provided factory way and that it is not available... your next best is going to be trying one of the many options people have used in the past.

Redrilling the motor mount holes UP 1/2"
From the Fordsix Tech Archives
http://fordsix.com/250swap.php
Using Maverick motor mounts.

There are a few threads on here..
Fitting the 250
69-70 Mustang 250 Mounts
good luck.

I have no idea if this can be of use but wildhorses.com advertises heavy duty six cylinder motor mounts for sale. Your project sounds good, 250/aod a nice combo I would think.

I used the 200 mounts its sits the engine higher , but I think its less than an inch ,with my 65 Mustang and the tri-power 250 the velocity stacks were almost flush with the hood and they were 2.5 inches tall , , if you use the bonnet and a remote filter it would be easy , and of course a small scoop , ( or teardrop hood as I then did ) fixes the problem , its not a game changer (imho) , if its a direct mount 2100 it shouldn't be to difficult , the 200 mounts fit like they were made for it

When I originally did this same combo in the 66, I used stock 200 mounts but slotted the engine mounting holes to allow it to sit 3/4" lower.

So you slotted the hole in the bracket that the motor mount sits in, right? On some of the Internet solutions I have found it is unclear whether to slot the bracket/motor mount, or the bracket/shock tower slots.

The part of the motor mount that attaches to the side of the engine block, elongate those holes.
The engine will sit lower.

No need to change the holes in the frame.

Hope this clears things up.

Jack, I am curious to know how you found enough 'meat' in the stock motor mounts to redrill holes 3/4" down from the originals.. Did you have to add additional metal plating?

I stopped out in my shop this morning before work, I have a '67 200/C4 sitting on the floor, the motor mounts are a simple stamped L shape.
IMG-20130109-00429.jpg
IMG-20130109-00430.jpg
IMG-20130109-00431.jpg

I have another 200 frame/motor mount, that I thought was off a '67 or '68 it has a slightly different looking mount.
IMG-20130109-00454.jpg
On this second mount you can see where Ford built in some 'adjustment' via a slotted bolt hole for the motor mount to bolt on/in to.
IMG-20130109-00453.jpg

And because I mentioned them in my first post, these are the elusive '69 Mustang 250 frame/motor mounts. They are slightly different in that they use 3 bolts on the motor. Also in addition to the slot for the motor mount, they also have oval shaped bolt holes on the passengerside frame mount.
IMG-20130109-00434.jpg
slotted bolt holes
IMG-20130109-00452.jpg
And this last picture is the 200 frame/motor mount next to the 250 frame/motor mount, you can see that the 250 mount is more substantial and that the 200 mount is longer from the engine mount bolts out to the frame mount bolts.
IMG-20130109-00442.jpg
IMG-20130109-00441.jpg

FWIW, I have been collecting stuff because eventually I want to put a 250 in my '67, which has a slightly larger engine bay then y our '65

Thanks for the pic! I can't see them very well, tho...

CoupeBoy's 1st pic is the Maverick, no?

Is any of them from the famed "Maverick"? I hear they have enuff meat (& R small) to "slot". I don't know which year is suggested (from the Maverick) but DO believe it's the metal "L" (attached to the engine) that is drilled rather than the lower part w/the rubber (on the frame). Common sense. Some use the mount/tower nomenclature.

"ReDrill the tower" (the upper/L part) I've been told here. Again, I just don't see more'n 1/4 inch adjustment with this method (the space on the OE lower bolt hole from/ to the 'crease' or angle in the bottom of the L).
May B a close up, straight on (not profile), which fills the frame, of the (? yr.) Maverick tower already slotted would be my dream pic. (Yeah, dream...
Some round here get a welder to custom up something, I like this look better & I just can't afford the custom right now...
:unsure:

Here's a link to my photobucket album, the pictures supplied in the forum are 'smaller' to fit the image rules. However the ones in Photobucket are full sized and there are many more, including a set of 250 mounts that Addo sent me a few years ago.
Ford Small Six Motor Mounts -- Photobucket

I do not have any Maverick mounts. What makes the Maverick mounts interesting is that they have a different frame mount setup that is closer to a V8 mount than the older i6 mounts. I would like to get my hands on a set though, just for comparison reasons. That also makes me wonder if the Granada ones are the same as the Maverick ones.. I might be able to scare up a set from a Granada (my Dad's cousin has one I think)

You are correct, when people talk about slotting the motor mounts they are talking about the bolt holes that attatch to the motor.

Some times when I "get into the details" I'm afraid I'm Mr. Jack-a-thread. Not this time (or the exhaust thread I participated in awhile ago). Anyway:

"...makes the Maverick mounts interesting is that they have a different frame mount setup that is closer to a V8 mount than the older i6 mounts..."
Thanks for the post back...
Is it all years of the Maverick? IIRC I ran a prts request where I wrk (AutoStoned). Nothing on the 'puter. Hadda go to the antique books - showed 2 different styles (sketches). One looked like the 1st of ur pic (the L shaped tower). The other (I 4got but seemed) splayed out'n squashed (a different tower, possibly similar mount 2 ur pic). Not for this application I assume. I'll check out the link U posted, thanks dude. May B others can chime in here.
I don't think we're to the end yet, I want as much certainty as possible...back later, -

No Mo InFo?

What yr Maverick mounts (or are these called the "towers")?

Which Maverick motor (must B "all 6s available in that model"?).

I think they're the "L" shaped brackets in the 1st pic....what R those?

Chad,
When people talk about swapping in Maverick mounts it is normally for the unibody cars (falcons/comets/mustangs/mavericks) these cars all share a very similar enging bay configuration for the bolt spacing for the frame mounts. If you are looking for the correct mounts for a Bronco with a 250 combination I think you are going to have to ask over on the Bronco Buster forum, surely somebody over there must have performed this exact swap and can tell you if you need to use another vehicle's mounts or if you can modify the original engine mounts as Asa has suggested.

If anybody wants to send me an Early Bronco with an inline six, I'd be more than happy to do the research on motor mounts :LOL:

FWIW, in a '67 Mustang I have installed (but never run) a 250/C4 combo using the original frame and motor mounts, it sits a little high, but by leaving every bolt installed (but loose) I let the motor settle down as low as it would go. If I ever get time it would be interesting to measure some heights like the crankshaft centerline at the front of the motor and the driveline angle as it leaves the transmission. Alas, that car is 80 miles from my house and not very high on the list of things to work on...

Thanks Ron.
I heard over there (EB forum) "Maverick" & assumed the lill one, 1st pic. But you say it's not a Maverick nor can cite the yr. May B I'm back to sq 1. The other threads are not so helpful. May B I'm easily confused... I got a pic of something that looks to work (that 1st pic) and will continue the search. No money or skill/equp to fab but that would be the ultimate
: :p

Back