Which turbo?

A

Anonymous

I'm new to this but here's an easy question. With my stock 200 (it's been rebuilt just encase some are wondering) which turbo charger whould I be looking for?

I'm looking to order one from these guys but I'm not sure which one to order. It will have to be one of the "no care required" turbos.

-Chris

P.S. Yes, I'm reading alot on turbos to get a little more familiar with this type of modification.

Turbo selection really depends on a lot of factors, but the easiest methods I've found for finding a rough estimate is to use your desired power. Decide what kind of power are you looking for? Then find compressor maps for various turbos. Estimate 8-10hp for every lb/min of flow. For example, if you're looking for 300 hp, look for a compressor that flows about 30-37.5 lb/min at a reasable pressure ratio. This is a very rough method, but it will get you in the ballpark.

how in super mans panties would i be able to put a turbo on my pos 200.........

I posted this on another board in which people aren't afraid to do math. If you don't want to do it yourself, don't bother reading this post:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turbopage.html
Reading it all is good, but "Under Pressure" would probably be the best for you.

Once you have your mass air flow and your pressure ratio, you can begin to select a compressor. Plot a bunch of points on the map to get an outline of where you will be. On each map you will see a bunch of islands. These show the compressor efficiency at that output. Obviously you want the highest average efficiency across your RPM range. The line all the way to the left is the surge line. If you have a point that goes to the left of the surge line, there will be bad mojo. Surge is when the pressure after the compressor ends up higher than the compressor can compress, so air actually goes backwards through the compressor. This slows it down a whole lot and can damage the compressor (and probably the shaft and turbine). The lines curving to the right and down are RPM lines and really don't have much of an effect on compressor decision.

-=Whittey=-

Yeah, I once counted to a million (over several weeks) and couldn't get to the end of the numbers, so quit. Heck, if I'd stuck with it I prolly still be at it... ;)

Back