Wierd EFI probs on non-Ford

A

Anonymous

Ok, not a Ford, but still need help, and Mazda people know very little. I have a 91 B2600i 4x4, 2.6l 4-banger which is actually made by Mitsu (confused yet?) The problem is that it runs rich. Really rich, to the point it fouls the plugs in about 30 seconds, blows black smoke, etc. I checked the CTS, ACT, and TPS, all checked out ok. If I disconnect the tps, it will run, but is not driveable. A Mazda tech told me that if there is an air leek after the MAF, it will run full rich. I sealed the intake up (found a bad o-ring on the resonator), it runs better, but still not driveable. The real kicker is that I can't get codes. It will not flash that light, no matter what. When I did the intake thing, I also disconnected the battery for about a half hour, it still wouldn't reset the light. I know the thing is in limp-home mode, as the timing, when I can get it to run, is at 8* constantly. It will only rev to 3k, then sputters, chatches itself, and repeats. I am really at my wit's end with this thing, and don't know what to check out next. Any ideas?

Jared

8) it sounds like the computer might be fried since you cant get any codes. also if the maf sensor is bad it can cause the same problem. the tps sensor may be good but if the adjustment is off it will cause drivablity problems. when you get the other problems sorted out you will have to chang ethe o2 sensor as the rich fuel mix will ruin them quite quickly.

HELLO JARED

FIRST ASK YOUR DEALER ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO AFTER YOU CHANGE BATTERIES.

WHEN YOU REHOOK UP THE BATTERY YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO REBOOT. ALSO GROUNDS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE OPERATION. MAKE SURE MOTOR TO FRAME, BATTERY TO ECU,HAVE NO VOLTAGE BETWEEN THEM.

PUT A METER FROM CASE AND GROUND.... YOU SHOULD HAVE NO READING AT ALL. ALSO OHM CHECK FROM MOTOR TO CHASSIS....SHOULD BE ZERO. LOOSE SPARK PLUG WIRE OR COIL WILL GIVE A VERY HIGH VOLAGE THAT THROWS OFF EVERYTHING. SOME TIMES THE ECU GETS IT VOLTAGE FROM STARTER AREA....THIS WILL DROP VOLTAGE ENOUGH TO CHANGE SETTING IN ECU....NEEDING A REBOOT.

I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT IT IS IN THE WRONG MODE. IT SOUND LIKE TOO MANY THING ARE WRONG AND NOTHING IS WORKING RIGHT... BUT IS WORKING. VOLTAGE, ECU. GROUNDING, HOOK-UPS, ALL WILL GIVE YOU THIS KIND OF A PROBLEM.

YOU SHOULD HAVE A GOOD BOOK ON THIS TRUCK TO BE ABLE TO NOT WASTE TIME AND GUESS ALOT.

THE $30.00 OR SO WILL SAVE ALL THE GUESSED PARTS YOU PUT ON.
I'VE SEEN PEOPLE PUT OVER $200.00 IN A CAR, BEFORE THEY BUY THE BOOK.

DO IT RIGHT AND LEARN AT THE SAME TIME.... SAVING MONEY!!!

LOTS OF LUCK....LOL

LIVE IN GRACE

LEROY POLL

I talked with the local Mazda guru a few days ago- he told me that they just did computers in 2-3 of these trucks, within the last month. Kinda odd, I think there are two or three of these trucks in town! At any rate, I now have to track down a book, or buy one from an online store. I was trusting my vast automotive knowledge (HA) to fix this thing, but I never really had to deal with this truck before. My father has had it for 6 years, with no problems until this. I had ruled out the TPS adjustment, as it wasn't touched before, and I put it back to the same place when I re-installed everything. The only other thing I can think of, off the top of my head, is chafed wires for the injectors, causing more than one to come on at the same time, or grounding them. I guess I have my work cut out.
Thanks everybody for your help.

Jared

Our works runs exactly the same utility truck! But in New Zealand! It runs rich too and just loves a drink! The Misubishi Silent Shaft Astron 80 donk is a tough old cout with the ECI Multi system. I'd say the Mitsubishi Tritons whould run the same ECU system if you were getting it certified for 50 states emmisions. Why not try your Chrysler or Mitsi angent?

A tune-up helped, but the problem needs to be addressed on a rolling road and gas analyser. My company has a three strikes and your out rule on working on older vehicles. They are selling this one off!

They were sold here a Ford Courier 4X4...I'll check with our New Zealand service agent. They should have the fault codes, as they are Aussie production engines from the former Chrysler Engine Plant in Lonsdale, South Australia (now owned by Mitsubishi). They were all unleaded converter engines in Oz, and unleaded non cat in dirty non emmisions New Zealand.

Can any Aussies help?

Another thing is see if the catalytic converter is plugged. It sounds kinda like symptoms of a cat problem. i dunno about the rich problem, but maybe it just seems to be running rich. You could see what happens and check it out.

Well, I haven't ruled it out, and it definetely will get replaced shortly. The engine is blowing black smoke and soot, so if the cat wasn't plugged, it is now. The truck also developed an exhaust leak, I figured from the burning gasoline in the exhaust. The three bolts around the #4 collector on the manifold were backed all the way out. About another turn and a half, and they would have been lost. Thank you everybody for the help on this-

Jared

Oh dear. I've just had a look at the Mazda B2600 and my work vehicle is in fact a 12-valve Mazda block, not the Astron 80 Mitsubishi 2555cc engine. Sorry for the miss-information!

Back