XEC Car parts for sale soon

xctasy

5K+
VIP
My 1982 Mustang is being used as a performance and durability platform, as well as a commerical Road Roughness vehicle for roading contractors.

Its is trialling 11 components

1. Triple Carb and EFI adaptor for Log head engines (Part No's in Hardcore forum.)

2. Twin bump Fox body sump for Australian x-flows

3. Classic Inline and Log head adaptors to suit Ausralian x-flows.

4.t180 rods for US 200'S and Aussie 250's. These are about 180 thou longer and correct the crook rod ratio to improve performance. They work in tandem with the CI and Log head x-flow conversion adaptors, and also work with a Jack Collins style cross flow to US 200 block conversion.(see item 7 below)

5. An adaoptor to fit the 5r55 Ford Explorer/Mustang Cologne V6 5-speed with its bellhousing and starter to any US log or Australian x-flow engine block.

6.Roller camshafts to suit log head engines with a special locating mechanism.

7. Jack Collins style cross flow head to US 200 block

8. HEI/Duraspark/Coil Pack Falcon/Explorer ignition upgrades, mapped to suit.

9. Gas flowed Log heads

10. Linc 200 style turbo kits.

11. The goal is to build 24 turbo charged Log headed EFI engines over the next calender year, based on Aussie Cross flow blocks.

If I read your post correctly, one of the items you are working on is an adapter to install an Aussie crossflow head onto a US 200 block? Along with the adapter, you would have to use the t180 rods which are 0.180 longer to make up for the adapter thickness?

If this is correct, do you have a workaround for distributor clearance on the US200 block-AU xflow head hybrid? Shortened distributor, or EDIS ignition?

I am very interested to see some pictures of these components when they become available and pricing. My plans are to build a US200xflow engine for my 65 Mustang with plans to eventually upgrade to EFI. If I could purchase proven components that would allow me to reach my goals without going through trial and error (time and money), it would be worth it to me.

Please keep us posted.

To confirm, Item 7 is just like Jack Collins alloy head to 200 convesion, but it raises the block deck 180 thou, uses 180 thou longer rods, and this allows an 1974 to 1983 Duraspark distributor with smaller 1974 cap to fit the block. This was first discussed in Christmas 2002 on the forum. The intake manifold can use the stock 2-bbl Ford x-flow 1982-1992 Alloy Head II with a special adaptor which puts the distributor above the inlet runners. I posted some pictures on the schematic a while ago. I'll find them an post rough schematics of each.

I'm unable to post too much detail, as its still prototype stuff.

Cheers,

Dean

Is there any info on the Jack Collins conversion? i've searched online and not found anything.

Just to Background the Items 1 to 11 above. These kits were brainstormed back in October to December 2002 when I was looking for a four speed A4LD adaptor for my Cologne V-six. That allowed me to find FordSix when I was finding a better gearbox than the Mustang C4 I was using in my Cortina.

Back then I had a small red compact propane turbocharged Cologne V6 Cortina which I was building up with my son, and I liked the in line six better after driving Plymouth 225 engined slant six A-body Valiants, 245/265 Hemi V-series Valiants, X-shell 3.3/4.1 I6 Ford Falcons and H and V car Holden 3.3 sixes and also 138 cube/2.6/3.3 P-series Vauxhall in line sixes since I was a kid. I'm 41 years old, and my first six cylinder tappet adjustment was when I was 10 years old on my 1958 six cylinder PA Velox.

After doing the basic designs, I then got more specific with a whole lot of imported Ford I6 and local Ford I6 parts, then left the adaptors I devised on the backburner as I was working 70 hours a week then. After leaving them forlorn I was pretty sure some enterprising Americans or Canadian would whip 'em up in there backyard as a spare time project. After seeing Linc 200's turbo project, Does10's Falcon, Jack Collins x-flows, and Mikes alloy head, I was pretty sure a 4 or 5 speed auto kit and the others would suddenly materialise. However, nothing has happened much in the last 9 years since being on FordSix as the turbo and alloy head revolution kicked in with a whole I6 industry being made by Mike and his team here. I saw the investment Jack C made and then Mike W made back in the Noughties, and I didn't then and don't now want to take anything away from the US Ford Six dot com business, as that contribution allows me to build my own kind of engines.

So I bought a US Mustang last November to productionise the adaptors. It's quite hard to design things on a public forum unless its one thing at a time. In my case, its cheaper to build them on a car than to make the patterns then bolt them up with out anything to hang them on.

When I was off starting my business with XEC back in June 2005, a lesson I learned from the sucessfull Aussie Peter Brock' business model back in 1980 when he made factory Brock and Group 1/2/3/ and Group A V8 specials for General Motors Holden Commodores is this. Build, Own Operate, then Transfer. Lead time zero. If its on the car, you can sell it as a package.

Notes on Item 7. For a few years, I'd been planning a low deck US 200 Ford with AOD and perhaps a supercharged alloy head engine yonks ago. Unlike 20 years of low deck US 200/3.3's, in down in Australasia, only our 1964 to 1968 200's had the low 7.803" deck. Our I6's are normally 9.38" tall as a 200 or 250, with just the rods, crank and piston cc's differing between the 200 and 250.

With respect to Jack Collins X-flow conversion, he had some minor issues with setting up a new deck with (in metrics) a 51.5cm strip of metal about 1 cm wide and deep required to cover the canted valve rockers for the Australian alloy head, so Item 7 incorporates Item 3 and 4, a few changes to ease those potential ledging problems that cause oil and water leaks, as well as longer high performance rods to clear the camshaft by reducing rod angularity. The overall schematic for Item 7 is similar to this garage tech number I conjured up back in 2002.

Item 7

I'm not really interested in x-flow conversions to US 200 engines when there is such a far superior Classic Inlines alloy head around for them...any such kit will always cost more than just a Classic Inlines head, especially when you consider induction and ignition set ups required and CFM flow rates, but my spin on the JC X-flow kit allows a taller, stronger 180 thou taller rod, the option of a high mount distributor or a distributorless waste spark coil pack system. The stock EFI or 2-bbl intake can then fit up without too many hassles. There is a simple spacer which allows the intake to clear the distributor if the sapce is limited. Examples of a spacer flange for X-flows are here on Ford six, see '68falconohio and CNC_dude on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62818, although I just made mine out of three 100 by 200 10 mm thick alloy plates and a ran it through with a rat hole file for the intake manifold on my 1984 XE Falcon back in 1996.

Carb can be Weber 2-bbl ADM/DGAS/DGAV , Holley Weber 5200 series 2-bbl or Holley 2300 series 2-bbl, no real restrictions. Any x-flow head, iron 1976-1980, or alloy from1981-1992.

Item 1 is a simple EFI rail and bolt on triple 2-bbl adaptor. Uses items not shown to bolt on, but this is basically it .The rough schemtic is this 1964 170 head on Australian 1985 250 efi block mock up from back in 2003. Upper intake, for schematic purposes, was an LD28 Nissan diesel intake runner, similar to what you'd find from a US market rwd 1980's diesel Nissan Maxima sean or wagon.

The flange pattern is where the upper alloy EFI runner and upper part of the iron log head mount meets is just a three 5200 or 2300 series 2-bbl carb adaptor like this photoshoped version of wsaiii's nice Mustang engine.

It basically allows three carbs to share three two cylinder engines, and the basic lower adaptor is for three Weber 32/36 or 38 or Holley Weber 5200 2-bbls. When a trIple carb log head engine is injected, the throttle bodies come off,and a Ford UQ/UR/US (94/98/02) Explorer/S197 Mustang Cologne V6 EEC 5 EFI system allows 200 odd hp to go through a gasflowed log head as discribed in Item 9. Enough research has been done on cam and induction/exhast flow to bring even poor flowing log heads up to a similar standard to old triple carb Holden 202 engines from back in the late 20th century. They 9 and 12 port versions regurly hit the 215 to 250 flywheel hp mark at 5200 rpm. This then allows Item 5, the 5R55 series transmission adaptor, to work in cohoots with a modern engine management system.

Item 6 is a special roller cam required to run the EFI system. Once the EFI system uses Fords EEC5 parameters, factory Falcon XR6 Turbo calibrations can be transferred to the older OHV log and X-flow engines. Long term, due to the space in the xflow block, SOHC Falcon XR6 VCT and Barra DOHC cam phasing as per the 2007 v10 Viper camshaft design cam be employed going forward.

In summary, Item 2, the Fox body sump,
Item 8, the ignition
Item 10, the turbo kit
allow Item 11, going high performance engines to be sold.

Commerically, because Fords 10 grand 5liter 412 hp cammer crate engine requires so many aditional exhast, suspension and driveline changes to fit cars which came standard with an anemic I6, the only economic way to sell remanufactured I6 engine's is to offer similar performance at a similar price. Item 5 is a really small left hand starter 138 teeth 4.0 Explorer bellhousing transmission, freely available and able to fit small turret early Falcons, and much less stressed in a 360 hp 2850 pound car than in my 205 hp 4000 pound plus Explorer. It makes sense to go with a 5-speed 5r55 automatic EFI Turbo, and sell whole kits as road tested, validated engines. Non turbo 3.3 engines should weigh in with about 200 hp as EFI or with downdraft 6V HO triple Weber carbs. As a normally aspirated triple Webercarb or port efi 4.1, there is an easy 250hp to be had.

With a safe 12 pounds of boost when a simple Mitsubishi Evo or Isuzu FZR , Falcon F6 or Territory Turbo intercooler is added, there is a safe 360 hp for a 200, and about 450 hp for a 250. In a light 2850 pound Fox Mustang like mine, thats sub 13 second quarters from just 3.3 liters as a 360 hp turbo, or sub 15 seconds as a normally aspirated 200 hp efi or triple carb engine. Add 50 cubes, and a proportional 25% more power is there. So a turbo should see 10 seconds, and 14seconds flat. The Classic Inlines alloy head would add more power still.

Back