Log chopping revisited

rickwrench

Famous Member
Had to try it, this is the result.

Chopped Head

Hey Jack/MustangSix, you posted a pic of a chopped head a while back, but mine turned out nothing like your pic.
I chopped a C1 head. Is the head you showed a D-something hex head?
Rick(wrench)

wow thats pretty different, what kind of car is that out of?

Radical stuff! A 5/8" billeted steel plate brazed up and remilled, you could run a plethora of options. I strongly suspect the Argentinian gasket pattern could be followed for use of their cast shorty manifolds.

Adam.

The one I sliced up was a D3. Squared off log gives different look to the intake ports. But that's what I had in mind. No more port divider needed and there should be enough meat to bolt a flange to the head and get a good seal.

Has anybody taken measurements of how much was "chopped" or precise locations of these "chops". (reference marks) All the ones I've seen look different !!?!?! (maybe someone can post the other pics)
Also, what could be done about the little freeze plugs in the head, can they be plugged again?

Rickwrench, how did you go about "chopping" it?

Alex

8) i think addo is right on using a billit plate, but i think bolting it in place, and using "O" rings to seal the openings is the way to go. that way you can seal everything properly and you can service everything when needed. alex i hope this answers your question as well. you can "O" ring the core plug openings to seal them up when a steel plate is installed. i would use countersunk screws to hold the plate in place. you can then set up the manifold bolt patterns as needed, and use studs to make things easy.

Rickwrench it looks very nice ;)

Let us know how it will turn out.

Vasso

It was very easy to chop, I gave the head and a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada pale ale to my brother, and it came back chopped and milled about three hours later (we then drank most of the beer). He used a very large band saw and then a vertical mill to make it pretty.

This was mostly an information gathering experiment. I may not use this head for anything, depending on how the hex-log head looks. If I do use it, I think six runners to a plenum topped with a TBI unit would be just the ticket.

What I learned was:
The C1 casting's intake runners are nearly round in cross section with an inner diameter of about 1 1/8". They look oval in that original pic, but that's because they run at a 40 degree angle to the plane of the cut.
chop1.jpg

There is enough meat left for freeze plugs.
chop2.jpg

The valve guide boss on the intake is huge.
chop4.jpg

There isn't one on the exhaust side, but there is a big ridge that should be smoothed out.
chop3.jpg

I'm going to do a later hex-log next to see the what the differences are. Also I think I'll have it cut it at a little bit of an angle toward the valve cover. More pics soon.
Rick(wrench)

A further, separate note (maybe particularly of interest to Ric Tucker and Rick "Wrench")...

Measuring 61mm (2.4") vertically up from the plane of the gasket face, you should clear the exhaust manifold bolt holes all the way along. Starting at this measured "line", cut inwards toward the spark plug side 5/8" (15.8mm) all along, running the cut out to the top. You may find it necessary to jump clear the centre exhaust ports, and also take care to not weaken the outer two exhaust bolt ears by milling too close.

Cut a 5/8" plate to fit, using a set of 2V gaskets as a template. Presto - a DIY 2V head. Now to find some manifolds!

Adam.

Adam, are you describing the machining of the intake log only? This is what I have in mind. The idea being, use the intake log casting thickness to accept threaded holes and bolt on a custom intake. This would allow the use of any design you could imagine along with the increase in internal log volume and access to the intake runners for porting.

I have way to many ideas to satisfy and no equipment to “make it so”.

Ric.

I'll see if I can give you a thumbnail sketch of that verbal description, Rick. You should end up with enough - as you say - to mount stuff off.

Adam.

This might help.

Note again that you'll need to consider the 3&4 exhaust. I suggest "up and over" for the time being; much simpler to deal with the results!

Adam.

Holy Jesus.I think I'm going to go get a junkyard head an have that mother lovin thing chopped an milled down nice an smoothe.Then play with the idea of headers and a custom intake.Whatta you guys think about a chopped head with 3 seperate intakes with side draft 1bbls?Or would that flood the engine at low rpms an not work at all?If not I'm sure an intake for 3 1bbls can be made.Just need to use my mig welder and some creativity.Then again a brain might help too but thats optional.

how bout cutting off the log, then ataching a solid plate with holes drilled for injectors, rig it up with the electronic fuel injection box thing and then somehow attach the intakes to a throttle body and somehow figgure it all out?

Back