Suggestions for a stock, but upgrade setup (Long, but GOOD!)

G

This is what I have so far.

200 with what was told to me here as being a 200/250 head, low compression version. I remember measuring the valves when I did the HG, and they measured 1.75 intake, 1.5 exhaust.

Stock cast exh. manifold, with a crappy exhaust system, which I plan to dual or sidepipe below the drivers side. Extra tension springs, 5 angle cut valves and head, no porting. 1 bbl.

Old style "slimline" head gasket (better compression?). I also have a roller system, but I lost 2 pushrods, and would love to make it a roller system. Anybody have 2 or maybe 3 pushrods from a 144 roller setup? Head milled not more than .010, new guides and .002 oversized ford valves to fit the guides. Head completely rebuilt from top to bottom. Tight valves in guides and seats. Umbrellas.

Block had honing lines all the way to piston bottomed out, must have been rebuilt recently, or little miles since rebuild. New water pump, generator, spare generator and starter always in trunk, spare belts, no a/c. New radiator and 6 blade a/c stock fan.

NOW, The things Ive considered, and later considered as not so good ideas...

I have an Offy tri-carb setup. This will be in place as soon as the head gasket shows ANY signs of stupidness. I need the carbs, but my father has a huge backstock of 60s 70s carbs, holley originals and carter rebuilds. Any numbers that are compatible with the choke and that tri carb setup would be helpful, to at least get parts together for the eventual change. Without having to mill, this setup should take a day to tear down, re-install, and tweak as time goes with driving, to get the linkage so theyre properly actuated on the dual 1bbls when its just right. Yes, I can tune very well.

A consideration of the t5 I have laying around is probably not an option that my budget would allow. Anyone know how much the adaptor plate costs, and where I can get it? What about pedal assemblies? I have a falcon with a 3 speed column, but it DOES have the pedal assy. Can I use that one? Also about cable, where can I find that? Or can I use the one from the 3 spd clutch? This t5 is NOT hydraulic, just manual cable driven. This is an unrealistic idea that I want to research for now, and when it becomes more real, Ill have info I need, if you guys can help. It does look as if the adaptor piece is a billet cnc made piece, so it looks kinda pricey.

Again, the exhaust is an issue. Its in such terrible shape, that I may go to a muffler shop to bend some stuff and put a sidepipe in a semi truck looking fashion come out to the side of the driver. I care less about the noise. My muffler is cracked half off anyways.

What about a reasonable priced header that I can use to run duals off of? A high flow would be preferred, and it doesnt have to be ceramic coated, or even powdercoated if its pricey. Just a bare one I can get powdercoated for cheap myself.

I think its time for me to do some work, since just about everything is new. I never fix or "soup up" a tired engine, but shes perky and tight, and one day on the highway, my dog (90 lb pit) jumped on me and threw it in 1st at about 60, which I could say, sounded like 9k rpms. I dont know the exact redline on that motor, but Id guess its at around 3k lower that what my dog wanted it to be. Needless to say, he stays in the back seat from now on. No oil, just halfway occasionally on the heat guage, when its 90 out and Im waiting for my white castle for over 20 minutes...probably the only time its gotten halfway on the guage.

Any other great suggestions on a great, cheap way to make it better. Oh God, if I had a 5 speed, it would be a dream. I have all parts of that 5 spd too.

Please, feel free to throw things my way, but nothing too expensive. Im a poor boy artist musician guy. Anybody have parts that meet this criteria that theyre no longer using that they might want to sell reasonably?

Oh yeah, and the 2 pushrods, out of a 144 roller. I want them very badly, and very cheaply. Anybody with this may pm me with a measurement to see if they fit.

Thanks for reading this long one.

Joe

Back