Help with header clearance problem

mustangsilly

I installed set of CI dual long tube headers on my 66 convertilbe. Problem is the outlets are right in front of a body support and I can't get a pipe to fit straight on the outlet. I don't want to pry down on the pipes for clearance because I'm afraid it might stress the flange and/or pipe welds, maybe causing a break and/or leak. Mike at CI said to cut the down tubes back, but that would require pulling the headers and fabricating more pipe. Anybody have any other solutions? Any help would be much appreciated.

Start the car with just the headers warm it up good , shut it off and as quickly as possible but as big a pipe in the open end of the header and pry in the direction you need , it will move very easy, as long as these are new headers, And dont worry as long as its a minor tweak ( an inch or 2 ) it wont harm a thing , this Won't work with seasoned ones because they have work hardened from constant heating and cooling , Ive down this for 30 plus years and it works slick

I ddnt know about the starting otor deal. I had an oxygen torch and just heated em red hot then bent it with a pipe. Either way it works good luck. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a torch, so I went with the warmed up engine technique. Worked like a charm.

I tried that one and I got a failure message that said: Error. Clash of philosophies.

It kept flashing a box that said "Program has detected a change in your categorical imperatives. Do you want to allow the change?" I got drawn into a hermeneutic circle and was only able to exit by means of a salto mortale.

Back