$2500 upgrade budget what would you do?

Now I know I just unloaded a bunch more crap but thats what I'm up against. I was thinking mine through in stages. First year a little pep. second year maybe the CI head and finally the turbo. I have been reading their posts and find it very interesting although a lot to take in. My car being lighter and much lighter than the coronet thought I might be able to stay naturally aspirated.

Tax return a cometh. It gets sent out this Friday. I started to look at junk yards to find head/engine to rework. Might have a few extra dollars to spend. I will start a new thread when I start spending.

taxman is going to taketh from me this year, apparently we've had an (unknown) tax (under) payage issue. Sucks to be me, I look forward to your upgrades...

-ron

Price is a function of speed and patience.

If you look around, you can do a T5 upgrade for under $600 easily. I got my first T5 for $250 rebuilt and shipped.

I'd save a few hundred on the ignition and just do a DS2. Dollar for dollar, there are better ways to squeeze out HP at first then the ignition. Once you are at the top end, next year get the DUI. :)

Using some of my old numbers:
1) DS2 - $150
2) T5 upgrade - $600
3) 8" rear end with 3.55 gears: $300
4) Headers -$400
5) New Cam -$250
6) V-8 5 Lug front end - $200

Save the rest until next year, or at most put a 1-2V adaptor on there. If you look around, you can get an Offenhauser 3-1V adaptor and carbs for the last $600 and combined with the above will give you some fun times and enough work to keep you busy for awhile. If you take your time you can get really good prices (I scored my v-8 front end and rear end for $125 total, including all the steering, spindles, etc.).

If you want bolt on power quickly, a CI or Oze 250 head and intake and the DS2 ignition. Both relatively quick and easy to do. However I think both will kill your 3 speed and rear end fairly quickly. I know once I put my Oz 250 head on my rear end chewed itself up in 3 months due to my spirited driving caused by the new found power.

I am however a proponent of safety items first when you plan to build for speed. At a minimum. dual Res master cylinder.

Cobra six your web site was among the first I found when serching for six stuff and have seen your whole web site at least twice lol. Between you and CoupeBoy I have followed a lot of your post. I am looking forward to starting this project and will let all know how well I can stay on budget (very doughtful).

Back