how much can i safely cut the valve spring seat us log head

sctty1986

just a quick question if anyone has done it safetly to .100 on a virgin log head? or are there longer valves for our heads? what is the difference between sbf valves and our 200ci valves? is it possible with the .17 needed for the correct installed height of my springs plus the original valve length equal a similar valve length. Forst of all i dont know the measurement of a stock 200 valve and a sbf valve. are mike`s valves equal length to the stock valves or longer?

Am I understanding this correctly, you need another .17 in installed spring height??
I'd think cutting the seat anywhere near that amount will result in you either cutting though and finding water or having very weak spring seat.
I'd examine your collection of parts.

Intake

Exhaust

I can't really tell you if this head was virgin or not, it was a C8 casting. I do not know how consistent the castings were on our log heads either but that's what was hiding under the #1 cylinders' spring seats.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

sctty1986":1p3zjwza said:
i have an e3 casting like the one posted for sale.
That could quite different ( E3 means 1983 ) ( C8 means 1968 )
usually automotive castings from 83 are thinner than ones from 68

ok i have not a clue i know its a BB block . and the valve spring seat is on a step above the casting. to be flush with the sand cast of the head i measured approx .060. :| . i have though and rethought ideas on how to get these springs to work. The springs i have look just like the springs on a 1989 302 roller cam engine.(stock) . took a spring from it and checked the pressures against the ones that i bought which are Erson: single w/dampener. Part # E915021 .

I ran across a spring seat cutter at jegs.com for 45bucks and a pilot for another couple bucks too.

NEWSFLASH i found on ebay a beehive spring retainer and lock kit specifically for the 200 inline six. heheheh 269$ should i get it?

Back