Glasspack with 200

dudeigota66

Well I just got the cherrybomb about five hours ago and rushed to put that sucker on cause i was running pipes. I welded it on, got it snapped with a tailpipe belt and turned the car expecting a nice guzzle or a raspy crack but NOTHING!!!! NOTE it is the 2 1/4 with the actual glasspack being 26". Everywhere I looked the general consensus was they were either too loud or ricey but it NOT TRUE :nono:

As soon as i get to it i will post a sound clip to back up my opinion. But the sound is way too muffled and it sounds like slapping styrofoam. I truly regret the purchase but what can you do? Its been welded and such.

This is my personal opinion of course, but if you're trying for a cheap muffler go cherrybomb cause its BUILT and don't listen to those that say they're too loud, i have the longest version they sell and it is absolutely too muffled! Id imagine the 22" version is a bit better and the 18" being the best!

I thought itd be cool to have a post where we can compare various sizes of the cherrybomb glasspack for those who are looking forward to it. Any glasspack actually. The purple hornies look cool but they only have one slip on sizes, and maybe some stuff on the dynomax thrush packs would be cool.

Good Day All,
Frank

i had one on my old 170, it made my car sound like a boat lol, it was kinda quiet until i would step on it then loud and it would also pop, i was happy with it

Really? What length and diameter was the one you had on the 170?

Purple hornies look pretty cool but most of them have the header hookup so i couldn't use them as easily. But they seem to be made of the same stuff as the cherry bomb.

dudeigota66":po5aputa said:
As soon as i get to it i will post a sound clip to back up my opinion. But the sound is way too muffled and it sounds like slapping styrofoam.

Wow, I'd never guess a Cherry Bomb could be quiet on anything! I'm anxious to hear that sound clip.

We all used to run them when I was young, so last year I put a set of the 26-inchers on my other car ('68 AMX). They were everything you were looking for - REAL LOUD, plus raspy and crackly. To put it mildly, I hated 'em! Adding an h-pipe mellowed it out a little. To be fair, everyone else loves the sound and I'm starting to get used to it.

The exhaust guy said that Cherry Bombs are definitely louder than any other glasspack. They use a pin-cushion perforation on the baffle instead of a louvered punch. There is less interruption to the flow, so less backpressure, but also less muffling.

If the sound on a six is that different, maybe I can use one on my Ranchero. I do like their slogan, "Disturbing the peace since 1968."

-Stu

8) when selecting glass or steel pack mufflers, the longer the muffler, the quieter it will be. most guys in the 70s used 18" glass packs, and they were generally loud and raspy sounding, where as the longer 26" glass packs were more mellow and smooth sounding. my old 66 falcon, 170, had an 18" glass pack installed and it is raspy sounding at speed, though mellow at idle. my 66 mustang, 289, had a 26" glass pack installed at one time and it was mellow sounding most of the time. when you got on it though it got loud, and it had a drone at certain speeds.

do you have a header or the stock exhaust manifold? I have a header and glasspacks on my mustang and my dads is the stock manifold and glasspack and there is a huge difference! The header seems to make a huge difference in tone and noise.

I have the stock manifold and for my taste it hums too much and i dont like it. The drone is pretty undesirable too. Now im really looking forward to headers.

Not sure about yours, but back in the day many glasspacks were directional since their internal perforations are angled in the same direction. If you install the glasspack with the perforations towards the exhaust flow, the muffler is much quieter and less raspy than if you install it with the perforations angled away from the flow.

Back