oil pan gaskets

X2 I always glue the pan gasket to the block to hold them from moving around I like Purma Tex or Gasket Cinch. If it needs to come apart then I used a little silicone on pan rails nothing on the rubber ends except a little dab in the corners. Good Luck

Ultra grey permantex on the corners where the side gaskets mate with the rubber end gaskets.
Bubba & myself also use contact cement or another adhesive on the pan rails just to keep them i place.
Ultra Grey takes a little longer to set up but does a superior job.
If you are in a rush just use black permatex.
However the best sealant is made by toyota FPIG. very pricy but is the best of the best. Bill

I still like good old Permatex Indian head shellac. I've never had a gasket leak when using that stuff, but the down side to the stuff is if you have to remove the gasket. It does not not come off clean. You have to use a wire bruch or a some kind of scotch brite wheel on a drill.

I'm using studs, so the cork gaskets are staying in place. What I'm hearing is to use some goop where the rubber seal on the main meets the cork gaskets. Correct?

Econoline64":13jw9e6x said:
I'm using studs, so the cork gaskets are staying in place. What I'm hearing is to use some goop where the rubber seal on the main meets the cork gaskets. Correct?
What you call goop is really the correct way to seal the corners of the pan.
What we recommend is the safe way to prevent pan to block oil leakage.

8) i use ulta black silicon in thin coats on both sides of the gasket. in the corners i use a bit more.

I'll still use ultra grey or the toyota FIPG if you want the best on the corners.
The side gaskets just held in place with contact adhesive or other adhesive is all you need.
The rest is an overkill.
Just remember you might have to remove the pan sometime. Bill

rbohm":1uy473gz said:
8) i use ulta black silicon in thin coats on both sides of the gasket. in the corners i use a bit more.

X2. One additional tip - a good number of oil pan leaks are from over-tightening. Check the flange for distortion around the bolt holes and tap them flat with a hammer and flat block. With a thin coast of sealer on both sides, install all the pan and just snug the bolts up - don't tighten them yet. Let it set up overnight, then go back and tighten them to spec.

Same goes for valve covers.

-Stu

Back