Hard starting

larryejoh

My Bronco (200 six) has been getting harder to start until now it won't start till I retard the distributor (turn counter clockwise). It wont run very well to I readvance it to where I had it (about 8 degree) but it wont start there. I rebuilt the motor about three years ago so I don't think the timing has jumped. It has 150 lbs compression on all cylinders. I am running a Duraspark distributor with a MSD 6A box and blaster coil with a Tarurus TBI with Megasqurit. I'm getting fuel from the injector and spark but it will not start were I had it timed before any ideas.

larryejoh":2yk7qqbu said:
My Bronco (200 six) has been getting harder to start until now it won't start till I retard the distributor (turn counter clockwise).

Larry is that a typo...counter clockwise should be advancing the timing. Overly retarded timing will make for hard starting for sure. Could your balancer have slipped?

larryejoh":2yk7qqbu said:
I am running a Duraspark distributor with a MSD 6A box and blaster coil with a Tarurus TBI with Megasqurit.

Very cool! Homespun setup or aftermarket TBI system? Good luck (y)

You are right I meant counter clockwise. You have to advance it to a point it is kicking back to get it to start. It wont run there you have to retard it to get it to run after you start it. It just started to get worse lately. I'm thinking it must have jumped time.

Hi All,

I have a 67 mustang with a 200ci straight 6 and its hard to start. I have checked the fuel lines all the way up to the carb and its getting fuel up there. Lately I even replaced/upgraded all the ignition system ie the spark plugs, wires, coil, upgraded the points to electronic ignitor setup, new distributor cap, rotor and it still does not run smoothly. So far I can start it but then just abruptly dies after about 10-15 seconds of idling. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Hello Straight_6_tuner,
Please start another thread regarding your hard starting and running issues. I'm sure you'll get some responses, and it's not likely yours is related to OP's, given his setup. Good luck!

larreyjoh, well I'd have to agree with you on the 3yr old rebuilt engine being an unlikely candidate for jumping time as the 200 is in general. Just not inclined to think that's it...just my $.02
Sorry I'm not familiar with the megasquirt/Taurus TBI setup you're running. Is the ignition system on that setup controlled by a computer or run independently.

Given to my shade-tree, knee-jerk reactions, if it's only a hard start issue (i.e. no running problems) I would want to check out the battery. Advancing time could make it easier for a failing battery to kick over. It's that time of year (warmest...or coldest) when they're prone to fail. Mine just crapped out last week, dead cell. Tested fine when not running, or while charging, but fell on it's face under load.

Might also consider a post over to the Fuel Injection - Megasquirt Forum to gain further attention, although this subsection is highly traveled, so hopefully you'll get some other ideas. Good luck (y)

Well I found out what was wrong. I checked the timing chain,changed my injector and checked my Megasquirt computer. I still had starting issues and would not run anywhere in time (had to be at least 20* advanced) I had spark and that was throwing me off. I changed out my MSD Blaster SS coil , which is fired by a MSD 6al box and Duraspark distributor,to a TFI coil and that fixed it. I guess I had weak spark even though it was jumping the gap at .040.

Back