rear main

mluck

now i know this subject has come up a few times...has anyone replaced there rear main seal..do you have to remove the transmission...i read before that you remove the oil pan..take off the rear cap..use a sneaky pete to remove the top seal...if anyone has done this..can you explain how you did it..the easy way..

To replace the seal in the car using a sneaky Pete. First it depends on the transmission your car has, for a stick type you will need to remove the trans maybe also the flywheel unless it can drop down with the crank. For an Auto depending on which one it has you may need to remove it, for some you can just remove the dust cover, unbolt the torque converter and push it back towards the front pump so the flex plate can move down with the crank. You will need to remove the rear main cap and loosen up the other mains too so that the crank can drop down a little about 1/8 to 1/4 inch should be good. You don't need to touch the rods you may need to use a bar near rear of crank to lightly pry down the crank enough to get the old seal out. The "Chinesse Finger" tool is used to pull a new rope seal into place, if the kit has a rod with a pointed corse thread its the tool used to pull out the old seal other then that you can use a small screw driver or punch to push or pry it out of the blocks grove. Additionally if your planing to replace with a neoprene seal instead of the Rope (I do highly recommend them), they go in easy but you need to remove the pin in the rest main cap. Also clock the seal so that the ends are past the block parting line add a small dab of silicone to each end. Good luck :nod:

Back