Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad


<<< New Site Update >>>

PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dkutz 1
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #1 by Dkutz 1 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:17 am

So we just bought a 62 Falcon Sedan, it is a very original car. I was having a HUGE oil Leak and figured out that the PCV system on the car was clogged. I discovered that because this is a CA car they replaced the down draft tube with an early PCV system. There is an adapter in the block where the down draft would go, and a tube that runs from there to a PCV at the carb base. My question is, what was done to the air cleaner. The stock one I have has an added adapter for a tube to the oil cap. Was this added by Ford? Or by a later owner? Right now my car is running an after marker air cleaner and vented oil cap.

When I fix the PCV system should I just run the vented oil cap or run a tube from the cap to the air cleaner??

Image2016-05-08_06-25-24 by kutzweb, on Flickr

Image2016-05-08_06-25-12 by kutzweb, on Flickr

User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
Posts: 9091
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

That looks something like a retrofit PCV system. California at one time during the 1960's and 1970's even required that PCV systems to be retro fitted on the earlier model years. First Ford installed PVC systems I remember seeing were on some of the 1961 models like the Thunderbirds and Lincolns. Good luck
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

User avatar
lahti35
Registered User
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #3 by lahti35 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Mother of god, what a mess. I'd put a draft tube back in and call it good!

Dkutz 1
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #4 by Dkutz 1 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:25 pm

well I believe its original to the car, so I will probably keep it. Besides, I can't get the adapter out of the block!! So I wouldn't be able to put a down draft in...

User avatar
B RON CO
VIP Member
Posts: 815
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:02 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Contact:

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #5 by B RON CO » Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Hi, my 66 170 came with a PVC system. It breaths in through the oil filler cap. You can see it in my picture. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

Dkutz 1
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #6 by Dkutz 1 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:28 pm

lahti35 wrote:Mother of god, what a mess. I'd put a draft tube back in and call it good!


I will probably keep it, because I believe to original to the car. Maybe dealer added, but it think it's the way it was delivered...

User avatar
CoupeBoy
VIP Member
Posts: 3422
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:17 am
Location: Fargo, ND
Contact:

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #7 by CoupeBoy » Tue May 10, 2016 6:32 pm

If that adapter plate for the original road draft tube isn't baffled, my guess is that you could be sucking through a LOT of oil.
Not required in NoDak, but if you are required to have it, you may want to look into getting an updated valve cover with a factory provided PCV valve grommet and a factory ford carb spacer to hook it to. It may not provide much, but it would clean up a bit of the plumbing issues and make it more serviceable.

User avatar
bubba22349
Global Moderator
Posts: 9091
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:46 pm
Location: Flagstaff, Az. 86005 near the old Route 66

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:37 pm

On your last question yes you should run a oil fill cap with hose to the bottom of the air cleaner. This you will then have a closed system and when it's all repaired and working properly the inside of the engine will stay much cleaner. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

adamscm
Registered User
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #9 by adamscm » Wed May 11, 2016 8:24 am

My '62 144 with '66 valve cover and pcv valve going to carb base. The road draft doesn't work well if you are not moving. I was tired of fumes coming out my oil filler cap. Image
C. Adams
North Texas
62 Comet 2dr 144/200

User avatar
lahti35
Registered User
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #10 by lahti35 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 am

Dkutz 1 wrote:
lahti35 wrote:Mother of god, what a mess. I'd put a draft tube back in and call it good!


I will probably keep it, because I believe to original to the car. Maybe dealer added, but it think it's the way it was delivered...


It would be interesting to see the adaptor... Did they tap the block for it or is it just a press fit?

Dkutz 1
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #11 by Dkutz 1 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:38 am

I believe its press fit, although I am not sure since I can't get it out!

User avatar
jamyers
VIP Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Buffalo Gap, TX

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #12 by jamyers » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

The original 170 in my '62 Ranchero had a PVC system almost exactly like yours. An adapter / elbow pressed into the block, rubber hose connecting a steel line up and around the valve cover alongside the steel fuel line, then another rubber connecting to the pcv valve screwed into the manifold (or carb base plate, I forget). Inlet air came through the oil filler cap, which had steel wool or something mesh as a 'filter'.

ANY sort of PCV system is better than the old road draft tubes, for a hundred reasons.

I would pull all the hoses / steel lines / pcv valve you can and clean them out, and make sure the block adapter / elbow is clear. NOTE: you're not likely to suck a lot of oil out of the engine at that point unless you've got really bad rings and have a LOT of blowby. Ford used that location on purpose to pull crankcase fumes from.

Original '62 pcv valves can be hard to get, but any later pcv valve will substitute, but you might have to relocate or rework mounting it.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that carb is NOT original, everything I've seen indicates that all '62's came with Holley 1904's (or 1909's?? I forget) anyways, original carbs were Holleys with the float bowls on the front.

Welcome to the fun of old Fords!
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

Dkutz 1
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

Re: PCV Set up for 1962 144ci Six

Post #13 by Dkutz 1 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:04 am

jamyers wrote:The original 170 in my '62 Ranchero had a PVC system almost exactly like yours. An adapter / elbow pressed into the block, rubber hose connecting a steel line up and around the valve cover alongside the steel fuel line, then another rubber connecting to the pcv valve screwed into the manifold (or carb base plate, I forget). Inlet air came through the oil filler cap, which had steel wool or something mesh as a 'filter'.

ANY sort of PCV system is better than the old road draft tubes, for a hundred reasons.

I would pull all the hoses / steel lines / pcv valve you can and clean them out, and make sure the block adapter / elbow is clear. NOTE: you're not likely to suck a lot of oil out of the engine at that point unless you've got really bad rings and have a LOT of blowby. Ford used that location on purpose to pull crankcase fumes from.

Original '62 pcv valves can be hard to get, but any later pcv valve will substitute, but you might have to relocate or rework mounting it.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that carb is NOT original, everything I've seen indicates that all '62's came with Holley 1904's (or 1909's?? I forget) anyways, original carbs were Holleys with the float bowls on the front.

Welcome to the fun of old Fords!


awesome thanks. Good to know it at least is correct. After two days of cleaning I got the tube cleared out. The PCV valve was OK. I will put it all back together today...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests