68 170 Head rebuild

"...big hole cut in the hood for it…"
give me a measure on that hight - there may B a (some?) ways around that.
I can't do that due to needing the 'shield to flip dwn onto the hood (some low overheads) - not even a scoop.
The 1100s R lower than the cool lookin glass bowel 1904s so...
Good Luck~

Thanks guys never heard of someone cutting the hood for an offy on a Ford 6, but I know the 250 and pretty sure the 240/300 are all taller engines than the 170/200 so I'm guessing that Bronco was upgraded to one of those. I'll start a new thread when I get my head done.

1strodeo":3a1lvvho said:
Thanks guys never heard of someone cutting the hood for an offy on a Ford 6, but I know the 250 and pretty sure the 240/300 are all taller engines than the 170/200 so I'm guessing that Bronco was upgraded to one of those. I'll start a new thread when I get my head done.
Im not saying it has to be done, I have no idea what he had under the hood, only what was sticking out. Seems like a scoop would've been a better option on an otherwise sweet little truck, but to each his own.

1strodeo":3qk8o98i said:

The 66-77 Bronco was never built with the 250 or 240/300. They will fit, the 250 is much easier, because the 240/300 is a bit taller. How much I don't know I never measured the one in my F150. The 250 would have been a good base engine. Lot's of low end torque even stock so a good performance upgrade.
Actually a very good performance upgrade is a five speed od trans. But that is another thing completely.

bmbm40":29k9mz2q said:
The 66-77 Bronco was never built with the 250 or 240/300.

Yes I know that's why I said perhaps this particular Bronco was upgraded to one of these engines.

So I have a couple of rookie questions. What are you guys using to help seal up the rear main seal? Mine had some clear stuff on it, and it wasn't leaking. Also, should there be some sort of freeze plug in the back of the block behind the cam?

I use nothing.
Today's gaskets (rubber composits) just fit on between 2 metal surfaces.
I think the 300 guys put a dab of snot on 2 lill places cuz it's a 2 part gasket.

I pulled out the rope (old school gasket) and twisted out the lill pin hidden down in there.
I may use somea dat goo to hold the gasket in place on the pan after I blast, hammer it flat,
prime'n paint it, may B the same on the VC gasket just to keep them in place when tqing the nuts...

Back