68 170 Head rebuild

Now I know I have a reman.

I'm gonna go ahead and get the block magnafluxed, then start putting it all back together

That's the thrust beating it controls the forward and backward movement of the crankshaft. Good luck :nod:

After much discussion with several experts, we've determined that even though this engine had solid lifters, the block is drilled for hydraulic due to the presence of this plug. Thanks Matt@vintageinlines for helping me investigate. There is a hole that goes through all the lifter ports from this hole.

Next question has to do with cleaning the inside of the rocker assembly. Do y'all take these plugs out? If so, new ones must be available, right?

I cleaned the '69 250's w/ a long gun's brush.
Have not dissembled the '68 170 yet.
May do so if it has the adjustable.
Wont know till I have extra time (left over
frm assembling/installing the 250).

Bronks Rock, i6 have longer cranks!
:shock:
:LOL:

"Dorman# 555-007"
THAT's for the rocker shaft?
(C post #51, 2nd or last pic )

guess it'd fit the ends on any sm 6
8)

Howdy ledslinger, just read your story clear back to Sep, hows it coming along?

I'm looking for a late 70s 200 head for the larger intake valves and the hardened seats, then plan to have it milled for both the chamber and a 2bbl carb. What cam did you go with? The stock pushrods still work with the milling right?

I do have good compression on my 170 shortblock so just planning to build up the top end and add headers, which I ordered from VI. Did you get those Clifford headers the other day?

I also have a worn out '66 200 at my disposal for parts etc.

Take care,
Jeff

1strodeo":23xj2g0z said:
Howdy ledslinger, just read your story clear back to Sep, hows it coming along?

I'm looking for a late 70s 200 head for the larger intake valves and the hardened seats, then plan to have it milled for both the chamber and a 2bbl carb. What cam did you go with? The stock pushrods still work with the milling right?

I do have good compression on my 170 shortblock so just planning to build up the top end and add headers, which I ordered from VI. Did you get those Clifford headers the other day?

I also have a worn out '66 200 at my disposal for parts etc.

Take care,
Jeff
Jeff I ended up getting a Schneider 248-256H. Its a hydraulic cam, so I got a new set of lifters to go with it, although Ford never put hydraulic in the Bronco the block is drilled for them. I didn't order any header yet, I've read a few posts on a couple of different sites about serious fitment issues with the Clifford headers on the bronco, tubes hitting the lower mount starter and whatnot. I saw where Matt listed the headers the other day. I'm holding off until I get my head back (still at the shop) to see how it went with the port divider. As for the pushrods, I can't answer that question. Mine had three different pushrods in it, even with the adjustable rockers. Whoever rebuilt it before knew the valves and seats were trashed and compensated with the rods. I'm going to have to get an adjustable rocker for mine when I get it back and order from there. Keep us posted!

So you did finally verify none of the Broncos/Trucks had hydraulic lifters? If so, good to know. I'm going to take the head off this 66 Mustang 200 engine and have it gone through, 3 angle job and hardened exhaust seats at a minimum, port divider and I'm going to have the log milled for the offy 3 carb intake (even though you and others have discouraged me from doing so, I'm hard headed) From what I've heard I'll just have to develop a relationship with those carbs!

The intake I found comes with carbs, linkage and everything, so I'm going to end up with (6) 1100 carbs, already have 3. Only 2 of them are stamped FoMoCo, 3 Motorcraft and I think the other is UREMCO, it would be nice to have a 3rd FoMoCo but not a huge deal.

So anyway that's where I'm at, will keep the 200 block for a build down the road.

Merry Christmas

I didn't ever get 100% verification that they never used hydraulic lifters in the 170s that they put in Broncos, but talked to Matt at VintageInlines and techs at Schneider and Clay Smith, and we came to the conclusion, after looking down in the lifter bore and seeing the plug in the end of the block, that while the block was drilled for the hydraulic lifter, it had solids. The block had a 68 falcon code on it, which would seem to indicate that the block was originally designed for use in the car, of course ford didn't necessarily make a different block just for trucks, just set them up differently. In 68 they WERE using hydraulic lifters in Falcon 170s. I hope your offy setup comes out awesome, I saw a bronco for sale the other day on ebay with the offy setup, had a big hole cut in the hood for it.

Back