Help upgrading carb and ignition system.

I like the way U used the heater duct.
If U want black plastic look to the late 70s
bent8, they used for this app. U could use the
same a.c. assembly w/a grind or file off of the flange
at the end of the snout on your current air cleaner assembly
but the oem was a lill bigger and oval (plus there were 2). Just
slide it down the appropriate distance (ur snout is tapered) to look oem.

Regarding vacuum source, know that the ONLY difference between Manifold and Ported is at idle, where Ported has no vacuum so no advance. The only reason Ported vacuum was ever introduced was to raise combustion temps at idle and reduce emissions. Once the throttle is cracked open, they both function exactly the same way. Some people think that Ported vacuum has better throttle response, but it's actually not any better than straight manifold, it's just "catching up" to where Manifold vacuum already is.

So without getting too high up on my soap box, I like straight Manifold vacuum on modified (ie, not emissions-tuned) engines. Otherwise, try each and see which you like better.

:unsure: back to the Holley 1946 swap, if everything works out I am planing on using a pair or maybe even three of them on a build. I have one in my workshop and been looking for a late 200 (3.3) six to build up. You Could easily build an adapter out of some 1/4 to 3/8 inch aluminum plate, though I currently don't have any heads to pull measurements from. After that it's just adapting the throdle linkage or switching over to a cable type. Good luck :nod:

Y dat carb, bubs?
Just lookin @ it…! OMG

Sorry 4 da jack...

Chad, Mostly because I already have it but they are a good carb just a little more complicated. :nod:

chad":3ovp7y5a said:
I like the way U used the heater duct.

If U want black plastic look to the late 70s
bent8, they used for this app. U could use the
same a.c. assembly w/a grind or file off of the flange
at the end of the snout on your current air cleaner assembly
but the oem was a lill bigger and oval (plus there were 2). Just
slide it down the appropriate distance (ur snout is tapered) to look oem.

Thanks, and I'm happy with the current look.

jamyers":23vpmqs8 said:
Regarding vacuum source, know that the ONLY difference between Manifold and Ported is at idle, where Ported has no vacuum so no advance. The only reason Ported vacuum was ever introduced was to raise combustion temps at idle and reduce emissions. Once the throttle is cracked open, they both function exactly the same way. Some people think that Ported vacuum has better throttle response, but it's actually not any better than straight manifold, it's just "catching up" to where Manifold vacuum already is.

So without getting too high up on my soap box, I like straight Manifold vacuum on modified (ie, not emissions-tuned) engines. Otherwise, try each and see which you like better.

I guess it comes down to a matter of preference or what you have to work with.

bubba22349":2qiwj3ym said:
:unsure: back to the Holey 1946 swap, if everything works out I am planing on using a pair or maybe even three of them on a build. I have one in my workshop and been looking for a late 200 (3.3) six to build up. Could build the adapter or you could out of a 1/4 to 3/8 inch aluminum plate, though I currently don't have any heads to pull measurements from. After that it's just adopting the throdle linkage or switching over to a cable type. Good luck :nod:

Good news. Don't know why I didn't think of this before,I was able to get the 1946 to bolt up by just carefully elongating the mounting holes slightly inward. :duh:

Hope this helps others who are looking for bigger 1BBL alternatives..

JA2euSxl.jpg

Bad news. Even though the car fired up on the first try with the JY carb I got, it had stripped threads on the provision for the fuel inlet line and a bad float causing it to dump excess gas,(confirmed it wasn't the needle and seat) as a result I didn't get to drive the car yet. Luckily, I found and bought a remanufactured genuine Holley 1946 on epay and hope that does the trick.

SjaMvsil.jpg

@Bubba:

I know where there are one of those later 200s ;)

Boots_N_Slicks14":3t9gncj6 said:
bubba22349":3t9gncj6 said:
:unsure: back to the Holey 1946 swap, if everything works out I am planing on using a pair or maybe even three of them on a build. I have one in my workshop and been looking for a late 200 (3.3) six to build up. Could build the adapter or you could out of a 1/4 to 3/8 inch aluminum plate, though I currently don't have any heads to pull measurements from. After that it's just adopting the throdle linkage or switching over to a cable type. Good luck :nod:

Good news. Don't know why I didn't think of this before,I was able to get the 1946 to bolt up by just carefully elongating the mounting holes slightly inward. :duh:

Hope this helps others who are looking for bigger 1BBL alternatives..

JA2euSxl.jpg

Bad news. Even though the car fired up on the first try with the JY carb I got, it had stripped threads on the provision for the fuel inlet line and a bad float causing it to dump excess gas,(confirmed it wasn't the needle and seat) as a result I didn't get to drive the car yet. Luckily, I found and bought a remanufactured genuine Holley 1946 on epay and hope that does the trick.

SjaMvsil.jpg

@Bubba:

I know where there are one of those later 200s ;)

Sounds like you are making lots of progress, :beer: congrats on adapting the 1946 Holly. That's interesting that you know where one of the late 200 engines is wish I was closer by to pick it up. Good luck :nod:

Back