What engine do I have mixed identifiers

falcon_master

Hi in a recently post I discovered the casting code for a 170 i6. When seeing this it sparked my memory and I remembered my supposed 144 in my 64 2 Dr falcon had the same code C4DE which means 170. This really baffled me because the valve cover and air cleaner is blue and the VIN says it should be a 144. But then there's another code on the exhaust manifold C3DE followed by the numbers 9430 A. I am trying everything to know what engine I have besides taking it apart. Also the vehicle was assembled in 1963 so does the C4 on engine block go by manufacture year or model year same with the exhaust manifold because if I understand I have parts from different years and models on my engine thanks everyone.

Don't take it apart the casting numbers should tell you what you have. After this many years any of the parts could have been changed out for a similar part with a different year casting code.
I checked in my copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook and the C4DE indicates a 170 block from 64-65. The C3 on your manifold is a 1963 casting code I believe. Hope that helps.

And one more thing I would like to add is it has a road draft tube and I can ot find anything for the pcv that the 60 61 62 63 or 64 shop manual say there should be there is no hose of any kind going to the carb it's just a straight tube going from the crankcase down. Another thing the only shop manual that showed this was a 1960 flacon shop manual so now I am even more confused why does a 64 block have 60 emissions system on it

I have seen a 1965 C5DE block out of a Ranchero that had a down draft tube so you cant just go by that. I would start looking at the date codes for your block and cylinder head as a starting point. The block date code will be by where the fuel pump mounts. It is in the format of Number, Letter, Number, Number. For your example it could be 4K28. I would also look at the casting code on your cylinder head and the date code for it as well. The casting code is on the intake log on the front and the date code will be on the rear. Compare the casting numbers and the date codes to see how many of the components seem to match up. There should also be a boss on the left front of the engine block with a letter stamped into it. If I remember correctly the code for a 170 is a "T" stamped into the block, but don't quote me on that. It is all in the hand book.

Good Luck,

Kevin

falcon_master":23xzuafz said:
And one more thing I would like to add is it has a road draft tube and I can ot find anything for the pcv that the 60 61 62 63 or 64 shop manual say there should be there is no hose of any kind going to the carb it's just a straight tube going from the crankcase down. Another thing the only shop manual that showed this was a 1960 flacon shop manual so now I am even more confused why does a 64 block have 60 emissions system on it

Your car is 53 years old since it came off the assembly line and lots can happen in that much time. It is quite rare to find a car that would still have its compleate original running gear. To know more about what the car might of had for emissions equipment you need to look at the market area the car was built for i.e. the DSO code (District Sales Office).

California led the US in Smog / Emissions regulations by being the first state in the nation to require the PCV system in 1961 for new cars sold in the state, as far as I know the only other state to also require them the following year was NY, By 1964 the PCV systems were perrty much standard equipment even though there wasn't any Federal requirements for emissions equipment before 1968. The rules were changing during the years too, with engine swaps it first went by the year of the car, then by the year of engine. In any case there could have been a few engines as well as different parts put in your car over the years to keep it in good running condistion. Good luck :nod:

"...like to add is it has a road draft tube and I can ot find anything for the pcv that the 60 61 62 63 or 64 shop manual say there should be there is no hose of any kind going to the carb it's just a straight tube going from the crankcase down..."
that may B 2 sep pic - my understanding is a RD (tub)e motor will not also have a PCV (hose). The RDT is the whole thing / only thing (vs a closed PCV system - out VC toPCV valve to manafold /&/ in AC/carb frm VC). Also stuff coulda been stripped off. ID the prts not the 'accessories'.

As folks have said: ID block, head, (not "this motor goes w/this car" /OR/ "this ex. mani goes wid dis engine") etc by numbers - all can B swapped in 50 yrs, no 1 I know of files off da numbers or stamps on new ones!

Order up "the Handbook" frm Matt or elsewhere (~25$) - while waiting 4 delivery peruse the free info source which 'started' this site (Classic Inline) by clicking on the 2nd above blue horrizontal line at the wrds "Tech Archive".

See Ya Soon!

Back