New cylinder head

1) "...getting the head milled to compensate for the thicker head gasket."
2) "Did you take any measurements?"
&
3) "...what do you mean by deck clearance Seth?..."

The above three parameters R important on reassembling a motor.
1) The last head was in tough shape but I'm not sure if it still had the steel shim gasket. You R not just truing the surface (back to level) so head & block meet tight, but compensating for compression volume as the replacement gasket is way thicker than the ol steel shim style.

2) "Measurements" as Seth wrote might involve the combustion chamber in the newly machined head (term of "CCing the head") due to this mill pass reducing the volume.

3) Deck clearance refers to the amount of surface hight left above the piston at the block.

Last but far from least:
Here's hopin U followed up with the reading ("Handbook" &/or Tech Archive above). U may not need echo1955's (or is it 95? - Ron Perlmutter) vid as he goes thru Total Assembly but it might B nice to spend some time on YouTube to get up to speed on the process you'll B undertaking for the 1st X...

:unsure: A little hint on starting a fresh engine so that you don`t have to grind on the starter and wear down the battery.Learned this little trick about 45 or so years ago.Take one of those funnels that you fill a Coleman stove or lantern with and put a short(about 4")piece of fuel line on it and use it to fill the float bowl on your carb.Saves a few discouraging words :rolflmao: .
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

The conclusion of the matter:

Filled it with fluids, no leaks except for forgetting to tighten the thermostat housing. :banghead:

Fired right up. Test drove it this morning. 12 miles. Smoooooooooth idle. So smooth I started noticing all the other rattles and buzzes in the cab. ;) I'll retune and check everything this weekend but I think it's good.

Thanks for the help!

Now to sell my old head... Do you guys recommend selling the whole thing (even in rough condition) or parting out?

Conrats Dooood! That was fast!

I would hold onto that head. In the yr'n 1/2 you've been round here U may have seen "direct mount", "2v" & "4v carbs" in the threads' chat (of this forum right here). The head U have is 1 of the best for these mods. If it is in good shape (magnifluxed 4 cracks, no 'lost ears' or castings, pretty flat @ gasket area, etc) U could 'work it' and have a performance head on ur rig in 1/2 a day.
On the otherhand:
If U don't want better MPGs & pep, have no room for storage, need $ to recoup what U put into the 1970 head I wouldn't blame U for puttin up an add in our "4 sale" forum...
Win/Win either way!
(y)

That's the way to do it... fires right up, drives good, idles smooth. No stress just fun.

Back