1968 Mustang 6 cyl, vacuum

[image] I've been working on my wife's 1968 Ford Mustang, 6 cyl. AT, convertible. (she had it in high school and we managed to find it and buy it back). I had the single throat carb professionally rebuilt. It already had a Pertronix conversion and coil. I had power steering put on it and power assisted brakes. Engine runs good now and I have more work to do. My concern right now is the vacuum for the brake booster and the valve cover pvc. Right now a hose goes from the booster to the base of the carb, but there is a tee and it goes to the pvc breather on the valve cover. I'm wondering if the brake booster will get enough vacuum having a tee in it like that. I know these cars did not have the best brakes from the factory anyway. My plan is to inspect the brake shoes and drums and repair as needed.
Also the carb was converted over to a electric choke. The rebuild company said to run the wire from the choke to the + side of the coil. When that was done the engine would not run. Take the choke wire off, engine runs fine. I was then told to take the choke wire to the + side of the starter solenoid. I checked it and it only shows 8 volts. What to do, what to do. Thank you all for any help.

Hook the brake booster to a tee on the intake log, hopefully one is there. If not install a 3/8" hose fitting below the carburetor.
Check with your carb re-builder & see if the choke coil was designed for 8 Volts or 12 Volts?
If 8 volts you can run a wire from the alternator stator terminal.
If 12 volts you can use a fused relay triggered by the +wire at the coil or from the stator. You hook up the relay fused from the + side of the starter relay.
viewtopic.php?f=98&p=606286#p606286
The PCV should hook up to the nipple on the spacer below the carb.

thanks I needed that!
Thank you 4 those 2 links, Bill.
:oops:
:p
(y)

Back