Hydraulic lifter conversion for a 1965 170 Bronco (66 MY) engine with solid Ls

tonyduc

My machine shop provided a hydraulic cam and lifter set for my rebuilt engine. After extensive research he and I concluded that if the block had oil galleys for the lifters than this would work, and visually we confirmed there were what looked like oil galleys.

However, I started reading in the workshop manual (66 Falcon Econoline and Recreational Vehicle). In the 170 engine general section (8-2) on the lubrication system it only mentions that oil spirals down the push rod and assists in lubricating tappets, that oil drains from push rod chamber back into the 'oil pan through openings in the block'. In the similar section for the 240 six, it says the main oil galley intersects valve lifter bores supplying pressure to the hydraulic valve lifters. Therefore, it appears that for hydraulic valve actuation positive pressure is required rather than just drainage access.

My engine, in the lifter bore about 1/3 the way down (incidentally where the hole in the hydraulic lifter would be) has about a 1/4 horizontal reservoir/recess on the side of the bore facing the cylinders with a hole on the end of this recess. I checked hole with a thin wire, it went in about 2 inches (as far as i could insert it) in each hole, indicating a passage.

Question I have is, is this oil hole common for a galley, or just drainage ?

The differences I have found so far with the Bronco 170 versus Falcon is
-solid lifters and adjustable rockers,
-deeper oil pan and longer oil pick up tube to reach bottom.

Is it likely that however, since this is a 65 motor, that they used the same block regardless of solid or hydraulic lifters and both therefore have the oil galleys? That would be great !

Thanks
Tony

tonyduc":7ms5doeu said:
".....The differences I have found so far with the Bronco 170 versus Falcon is
-solid lifters and adjustable rockers,
-deeper oil pan and longer oil pick up tube to reach bottom.

Is it likely that however, since this is a 65 motor, that they used the same block regardless of solid or hydraulic lifters and both therefore have the oil galleys? That would be great !...."
May not be able to help as i got equp only as far back as '68 (the change from SCV/LOM)
To me it's all close to identical.
I'm thinkin the 2 differences U mention might B close but a lill 'off'.
The 1st: a year difference, not model specific
The 2nd: really a rear v frnt sump and dip stick change (by dizzy on falcon to pass side & in pan for bronk).

Many of us referr to the excellent "The Ford Falcon Six CylinderPerformance Handbook" ( falcon here referrs to the 6 ThriftPower i6 motors 1960-'96) or 'the Handbook'. It goes into this and much, much more (?$25 frm Matt at vintage inlines dot com). While waiting for delivery U may find this answ in the above 'tech archive' @ big blue box w/crossed screw driver/wrench top of this page. At 12 posts I hope its not too late to say:

W E L C O M E !!!
to the forum and site !

Tony, should be a easy install.
See what camshaft the shop supplied.
I would suggest to get the double roller timing chain from Matt at vintageinlines.com
Also you need to degree the camshaft to make sure the timing events are as specified.
You can use your old pushrods & adjustable rocker assy. if there is no wear on those components.

Back