Which 6?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place to start this.

I'm looking for an inline 6 for a kit car project in the UK. The Jaguar 6 is too big and I don't want a high revving BMW or Jap engine.

To pass our kit car build regs, ideally it needs to be based on a '93 or early block and either be fuel injected or be able to be converted to fuel injection.

I was initially thinking about the Aussie Hemi 6, but I read somewhere on here that it's effectively a big block engine, so may be too large.

What are the options for a compact 6 with reasonable potential?

edited to add this: Forgot this first time around, I'm looking for performance on par with the Rover v8., which is the traditional route for the car I'm looking at. A 6 would be more in keeping with the ethos of the car in question.

Thanks

ME

The standard fitment is the Rover transmission. T5s are fairly common in British kits generally but not this car specifically. I'm expecting to have some work to fit whatever I decide on, at the moment I'm investigating options before I go and talk to the company to see what we can make work.

I would not call the Aussie Hemi -6 a big block at all.. it is abit long (compared to a slant lets say) but they are a terrific engine with heaps of potential. The six-pack cars were 302hp.(with 318 ft.lb. of torque from memory) were factory ratings.
No factory injection,just the six-pack. But a bunch of people have converted over to multi-throttle body injection (looking similiar to the factory triple DCOE Webers)
Trans-wise.. a small block transmission can be modified to suit the bolt pattern of the Hemi as well (The upper bolts are in the same location, just need to modify for the lower ones which are wider on the Hemi)
There are also conversion bell housings available also. I run a T-5 behind mine for instance..

I've not been able to find any info on fuel injecting the Hemi 6. Do you have any info? Also, do you know how they compare size wise to the Jag sixes?

On fuel injecting it, you will basically just have to make stuff to suit. I did see once a company was doing a Weber DCOE replacement throttle body (same mounting pattern and such) the fuel injection setups I have talked to guys in the past about have been all custom setups, can't think of any online (at least off the top of my head)

I don't know the size of the Jag engine to compare with..sorry.

Jag motor could be heavier - certainly wider than a 265.

I'd look at a later '80s Aussie six with aftermarket management and a T-5.

Or even perhaps an RB30 Nissan ala' VL Commodore/Skyline.. bullet proof bottom end and plenty of upgrade potential...

Just a thought :)

I've been doing some more digging, seems I may have been mislead on the EFi. From what I can tell, it needs to meet the relevant UK emissions regs for the year the block mas manufactured.

I'd have the thought the RB30 revs a bit high for what I'm looking for.

Could be on the revs...good midrange power though from memory.
The Hemi does have a nice torque curve to it too.. Perhaps from the overall displacement and bore/head design.

I think right now, my options are looking like

Hemi 6 - Love the triple 45s on those, waiting to hear if I can get one shipped or not.
AMC 4.0 - Easy avaialability of spares over here
Ford 6 - Not so easy to get to the sort of performance figures I want, but that may well change by the time I'm ready to build.

Yep, pretty cool having a six-pack 8)
Here is mine..
engine.jpg

That is a factory intake manifold as well by the way..

Ok, here is the Jeep version but fuel injected with a custom hand made intake. 4.0 stroked to 280c.i.
e12bcc08.jpg

OzHemi - No air cleaners on those webers?

sixpak: How much is that AMC putting out? 280ci is the 4.6 stroker conversion?

Yes, I have air cleaners too, but took the pic at a cruise night I drove the car too and just had the stacks on there for the unique look of it.

I have no idea about HP. It has ran 7.29 in the 1/8th at 94 MPH. 60 ft was only 1.59 flat footing it. Had to let off to get the nose down-4 ft in the air-really. Car weighed 2650 at the time.

ME, you might look at a Mopar slant six. With some hunting you might find an aluminum block version. Small bore/long stroke, lots of development by enthusiasts, easy to turbocharge. Google a guy named Doug Dutra.

Mer-Benz 2.8L SOHC six is easy to find, would be an interesting street rod motor.

Yep! I should build a stroker OZ hemi with a turbo for a car. 6 speed tranny and beat on Turbo Supras :LOL:

Donations gladly accepted!

Aluminum slant? I researched that and thought no thanks! I can take 65lbs off the front of the car another way.

There was an alloy head on EBAY a couple of months ago........... :shock:

Back