help 223

A

Anonymous

i wish to change my tranny from a standerd to a automatic that bolts up to a 223 my truck is a f100 1964 s/b step side
need to know what tranny i need
great web site!
spoons

Your best bet will be to shop around for a Automatic from a 223 powered Car;then measure the Tranny's length to see if the Driveshaft ect.. will fit, not to mention if it will bolt to your engine. Good luck.

My 53 f-100 came with a 215, I pulled a 223 from a 54 ford crown vic as a replacement it was a strait bolt in, the vic had a three on the tree same as my truck. I would suggest you contact a ford dealer to see if the auto trans and manual trans use the same engine. short of that you might want to look for a 223 powered car and do the entire engine tranny swap

You've got three bolt-in choices:

1) The 2-speed Fordomatic: all aluminum case with integral bellhousing.

2) The 3-speed Cruise-o-matic: cast iron case, aluminum bell.

3) The 3-speed C-4: aluminum case, aluminum bell. Only found in '64 model fullsize cars and MAYBE trucks.

The Cruise-o-matic is nearly indestructible, but slow. The C-4 would be the best pick for performance, but probably very hard to find.

Actually, the C4 would be the easy part, finding the bell would be a challange. I'll be that if you hit the wrecking yards & look carefully you could find something. Look for a '63-4 car with the 223. Don't know if the 215/223/262 have the same bell as the Y-block V8. Does anyone know? If so that would simplify the search. Hope this helps. Take care,
Edwin

66Monterey":2wxaqlb2 said:
You've got three bolt-in choices:

1) The 2-speed Fordomatic: all aluminum case with integral bellhousing.

2) The 3-speed Cruise-o-matic: cast iron case, aluminum bell.

3) The 3-speed C-4: aluminum case, aluminum bell. Only found in '64 model fullsize cars and MAYBE trucks.

The Cruise-o-matic is nearly indestructible, but slow. The C-4 would be the best pick for performance, but probably very hard to find.

66m.

If I may make a small correction here.

The Ford/Merc-o-Matic trans is a Single Range 3 speed, the bellhousing is seperate just like its Big Brothers, the Cruise-o-Matic trans, which is a Dual Range 3 speed.
The Motocraft 2 Speed trans is a completely seperate beasty, looks completely different from the former, has the intregal bellhousing & first came out in 1959.

At least that is what the Trans Service Manual states that was put out by Autolite Technical Service Institute owned by FoMoCo.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman

Back