I6 Engine Knock - HELP!

A

Anonymous

I just reinstalled my full refurbished single-barrel Holley carb in my '59 Edsel Ranger after the car had been sitting for about 2 months without being started. The good news is that it started right up. The bad news is that now there is a major knock coming from the engine that was not here when the car was last run. Before I start the process and major expense of dealing with a mechanic does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

The engine is a 223cid I6. The whole story is that a about four months ago I tuned up the car, added new oil, new plugs, changed out wires, etc. even changed out the fuel tank and it was running perfect (for a couple of months). The only problem was that it was hard starting and the carb leaked gas.

After several attempts to stop the leaking, I decided to send the carb out to be completely refurbished/restored. So the car sat idle for about two months while I finally sent the carb in and it was returned.

Once I installed it (I also installed a new inline fuel filter between the pump and the carb - the old one that had been on the car had its glass bowl cracked) I had to pour gas into the carb several times to get everything primed and back running. It started great, but within a few seconds it started to have a low metallic knock, which increased in volume and pitch when the engine was revved/gunned. There was also a hissing sound like air being sucked or blown out somewhere. At that point I turned off the engine, and left in despair! (Just kidding - sort of)

I have sense looked through the info I have discovered that it could be anything, from bad gas (which I can probably rule out since I am using the same gas in my regular car) to major mechanical issues. I have also read that there could be some vacuum issues with spark advance on the I6 engine. Once I regain the courage and patience I will try to resolve the problem. :(

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :D

The sad part is that I purposely choose an Edsel with an I6 engine for my future daily driver, because I had always heard how foolproof and easy to work on this engine was. I guess that may be true UNLESS it is installed in an EDSEL. (Gotta love that car!….'Cause love is BLIND)[/i]

Shudder! :shock: Did you leave the engine sitting 2 months without anything over the carb hole? Could something have dropped into the intake between removal and reinstallation? :unsure:

No, I was extremely careful to keep the opening covered the entire two months, but I guess anything is possible.
:roll:

It just may be possible that something was dropped in the intake manifold during the month the carb was off the car. (A month is along time and I do have little helpers!)
Is there any way I can easily check, say by taking off the intake/exhaust manifolds and probing with a magnet? Or will I have to lift the head?
I want to determine the real cause without too much dismantel of the engine, but I also do not want to run it any longer than necessary to minimize damage if there is something in the cylinder.
Any suggestions?
Note: I an not a newbie to working on engines BUT I am far from a seasoned Pro.

:shock:

You may be able to pull the plugs, and shine a light into the plug holes, With maybe the help of a mirror you should see the tops of the pistons. Provided each is at the top of its stroke, of course. ;)

Why not throgh the manifold, since that would have been the only route for the "whatever" to get into the engine?
I agree the plugs will be easier to remove, but will I have enough clearance to see and/or remove whatever is in there (if anything)?
Initially, I thought it might have been the fact that I had to pour gas down the carb to get the car to start after sitting for 2 months and I may have overdid it. Or since I also heard a hissing sound it may have been a vacuum leak. And I was told the spark advance was controlled by vacuum on the 223 I6.

I just know at this point I am a bit lost and a little afraid to restart the car if something is loose in the cylinder. It could cause a minor issue to become major ($) in a heart beat.

:roll:

i once saw a picture of the guts of a motor and its supercharger after a 3/8 bolt fell into it, i can tell you it was not nice

Back