1954 Ford F-250 Engine Paint

I have been trying to figure out the engine colors for the 1954 F250 223 ci engine. I understand the valve cover is argent/silver but I have yet to figure out the "red" color for the block. I have found the red for the flathead 6, t-bird red that was used in 55-57. The red's I have found seem to be up to 1953 and then nothing after 1954 is listed until late 50's.

:unsure: Yes you are correct valve covers were Argent color (Sliver) Ford had two numbers for this over the years M1J-607 & M2J-23 I don't know which is the correct one for 1954 but I think it could be M2J-23 if it is this is Ditzler Enamel # DEE-45. All of the 1954 Ford truck engines used in the F-100's, F-250's, F-350's, were Ford Red engine enamel you use to be able to buy it in spray cans at most of the better Auto parts supply's it was a very popular color in the late 1950's and into the 1960's. If you want to have some paint mixed Ford Engine Red is suppose to be Ditzler # DDL-3153. Chrysler Industral Red is real close too and I think the Thunder Bird Red is probably the same one of its codes is DuPont : Delux #73100 so you could try and do a Cross reference with the above code to see if it's happens to be the same one. The engines oil pan and dip stick tube were paint Red enge color, the engine accessory's Starter, Generator, etc., were painted Black (not sure but Black could be the Ditzler # DQE-9123) and the accessory brackets could have be painted either the Red engine color or Black this all depends on which of the Ford Engine Foundries they were originally assembled at. The early 1954 engines I think were assembled at the Dearborn Rouge River plant and they had Red Brackets (to ID them there is no distinguishing Block marks. The later 1954 engines that assembled at the Cleveland Engine plant (ID The Blocks casting Mark of a C with an F in the center) these accessory brackets were painted black. All Air Cleaners were painted Black. See below link for a really nice 1954 Ford F-100 restoration to get an idea of the Ford engine Red looks like. Good luck on your Restoration! :nod: Edited

Here is a good example of the nice detailing on a 1954 F-100 223 engine
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/ ... CKUP-81362

Back