another turbo 200ci

Well the title says it all im looking into turbo my 68 l6. But when it comes to turbos i could tell you butt from hand, iv been reading this forum for a while and still am confused on what it all takes. I know i need to upgrade my fuel system but to what? and what about my carb? do i need to upgrade to a 2bbl or can i stick to my one? and for my header what do i use? or do I just connect a pipe to the stock mani and run from there? and for a turbo? what size? and what psi can i run? and what cams do i use? do i need to upgrade my valve springs? help!!my motor has been completely rebuilt i am really looking forward to this build!!

Tyoung68":2lck6b33 said:
Well the title says it all im looking into turbo my 68 l6. But when it comes to turbos i could tell you butt from hand, iv been reading this forum for a while and still am confused on what it all takes. I know i need to upgrade my fuel system but to what? and what about my carb? do i need to upgrade to a 2bbl or can i stick to my one? and for my header what do i use? or do I just connect a pipe to the stock mani and run from there? and for a turbo? what size? and what psi can i run? and what cams do i use? do i need to upgrade my valve springs? help!!my motor has been completely rebuilt i am really looking forward to this build!!

A turbo charger, is not a "one size fits all" solution to a lack of horse power problem. It requires a pretty strong understanding of all of the areas revolving around it to get the most bang for your buck. This site is full of individuals that have put together everything from a simple turbo fed by a bent pipe coming off of the stock exhaust manifold, to full blown head swap/shaved head solutions that allow complete custom fabrication of the intake, and exhaust manifolds to support the mod.

I just decided on a turbo for mine, and that decision came after spending a stupid amount of time doing home work. I finally threw in the towel, and sought the advice of a professional, and bought a Borg Warner.

After you read the stickies here, You would do well to spend time on TTF (the turbo forum) reading from the plethora of info they have stored in their tech section. You'll be able to get a basic understanding of what you'll need there. Just based on the multitude of questions you have, I'd recommend that you do that first, then make one decision: How much power do I want?

All of the rest of your answers will come from there. i.e how big a turbo, and how much boost it will require to make it, what size carb, and what you'll have to do to make that work, what size cam, and the related head mods to support it, what you'll have to do to insure all of that will work w/ your current bottom end.

I for one answered that first question w/ 450 RWHP, and 550 RWTQ. You can look in at my thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70927 to see what I'm doing to support my decision.

well im getting a holset hy 35 turbo for free and to be honest im looking for crazy power just being able to break them loose when i want to i have the general idea what i need just not sure for the exactly what items to get and not sure what parts to stay away from

The HY35 is a great size for the small six. The exhaust housing might be a little small at 9cm2, however. You can find 14cm2 + housings for these turbos all over as this was a common upgrade.

One more thing: The wastegate might be a little small as well. You could enlarge it yourself
(see here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54242)
or add an external wastegate.

Anyway, try it out as-is and see how it works. It should be obvious if you need to upgrade.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48100

Bort62 used a 1 barrel carburetor with some modifications. His write up has a lot of good information.

Usually 6-8lbs is safe for a stock engine, although I think Bort62 ran quite a bit more.

Back