Prepping for build this fall!

schaferstephen

Evening all,

Finally got me some mernies, and I'm ready to have some fun with my '65. I considered a V8 but.. I'll get carried away there, and who the heck else can brag about a hot 200, right?! I put up a thread earlier, but in a different section, and I have a few more questions now, and am definitely wanting some more input before I put money down.

Here's what I have: stock 200, Mike's headers feeding into a Y pipe into a single 2" exhaust, and a 4cyl T5. What I WANT is a NA beast that is pushing as much rwhp as streetably possible. If it kills the tranny that's fine, I'll drop V8 gears in, a new rear end, and try 'er again.

Questions: definitely going the aluminum route (hence my post here), is it worth a port job or oversized valves? Also, what about the roller rockers, and what ratio? Double valve springs seem like good insurance - thoughts?

Intake: I'm thinking autolite 2100. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard this engine is super easy to over carb and I definitely believe it.. I've also heard good things about the 2100 and it seems like a solid choice. Second choice would be a Weber... of some sort? Thoughts here?

Pistons: first, is it worth boring 30 over? I had the stock head off and the cylinder walls look fine.. to the untrained eye... is it to my advantage to bore over? Having said that... If I dont' overbore I dont see why I'd replace the pistons. If I do, what pistons will I need to keep my CR in the 9.1-9.5:1 range? I wanna run on pump gas. I don't see any need for forged as I'm not going to put a hairdryer on here ;)

Cam: In a previous thread, MPGmustang recommended I use a 274/274 112* .480 cam or 278/278 112 .480. I honestly don't know a whole lot about cams... Sorry guys... I guess the 112 lobe will help the low end and the 278 or 280 dur. will help the top end? I do know that I want something that pulls strong off the line. I won't be racing so I don't need to have a top-end screamer that breathes to 7k rpm. It'd be nice to have a good strong lope but I'm more worried about performance.

Ignition: DSII with a new coil? I guess that's pretty standard, unless I just don't know enough to know what I don't know!

I think that's about it... Let me know if I can provide some more info. I'm sorry for my ignorance yall, I'm 20, never built up another engine so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Been reading these posts and waiting on my copy of the Falcon Perf. Handbook to come in... Can't wait to hear yall responses! Thanks :D

:EDIT:

Thought here before this goes any further. Would it be to my advantage to pick up a 250 block and start working on that? Far as I can tell all these parts will work with a 250, and I don't have a problem getting a new bellhousing for my T5, or getting it to fit under the hood... Cut to size, beat to fit! Thoughts??

I've never been real fond of running a dual collector header back into a single exhaust. If you have the money I would run a true dual exhaust using 2" pipes all the way back thru some nice turbo mufflers. I'm sure others will chime in.

I just did it because at the time, true duals were way overkill for my bone stock engine. When I do this build I do definitely plan on doing dual 2" pipes w/ cherrybombs

schaferstephen":51qan2o2 said:
Cam: In a previous thread, MPGmustang recommended I use a 274/274 112* .480 cam or 278/278 112 .480. I honestly don't know a whole lot about cams... Sorry guys... I guess the 112 lobe will help the low end and the 278 or 280 dur. will help the top end? I do know that I want something that pulls strong off the line. I won't be racing so I don't need to have a top-end screamer that breathes to 7k rpm. It'd be nice to have a good strong lope but I'm more worried about performance.
In that case, you don't want that high of duration, you'll be looking for a 260-262 duration cam, those are mid rpm grunts. ask might for a .480 lift using 1.5 ratio rockers. so a 260/260 112 .480 degree'd 2* advance. the 260 will keep the low rpm torque and really help the .480 lift will help the engine breath beautifully, and the 112 will keep the top end. to get to 7k rpm, you'll need some STRONG valve springs and STRONG push rods so that the valves don't float.

Pistons: I run stock dished pistions .040 over, pushed 145hp with a 264/274 cam. nothing fancy, keep your engine simple. boring out the cylinders help quench, something i6 engines lack, but with the new head that is fixed. I would still bore it out if possible but as minimum as possible.

intake: go 4bbl, then get a 4bbl injection system, this can also control timing and you'll get the beat of everything, tuning is a PITA with a carb, some TBI systems will auto tune your car for you with the best eco and power. in the end you'll be happier.

Good luck!!

Ok, thanks!! You said you used 1.5 rockers, are those just the stock rockers?

Pardon my ignorance here... but if I bore the block, which I'm still not 100% sure about, I'd need new pistons, right? It will probably come down to cost... If my friend can hook me up with a machinist I'll probably go ahead and do it though. I was a little confused when you said the stock pistons bored 40 over - I assume you mean stock style pistons, not the LITERAL stock pistons? While I'm asking about volume... How do you feel about the 250 block? Is that something to look into?

Thanks for the injection advice. Honestly I don't know ANYTHING about injectors but I will start learning!

Thanks so much!!

Back