94 speed density setup, looking to upgrade

jarryd2018

I have a 94 f150 with a 5 speed manual and a 300. Looking to make some mild upgrades and through my research it seems my options are very limited with the stock fuel system which brings me here.

I have read a few builds with all the builds I've seen, seems there's an endless number of options. I'm looking for opinions and advice on a relatively simple setup that would give me enough tuning control to upgrade my cam and port my intake, possibly a ported head if I can find a cheap one to work on down the road. I'd love to eventually boost it but I'd rather get it running at its full potential before limiting it's longevity like that.

Because it doesn't sound to me like you are doing anything drastic to the engine, at least not at this point, why not make your changes and try them out with the stock system first? If it can't handle it then move on to programmable EFI.

The first thing that you have to do, at least in my opinion is to get yourself a good wide band with data logging and see what your A/F ratios are now under all speeds and loads. Then you will have a base line to compare it to how the EEC-IV will handle your changes.

What are you goal for the vehicle ?
Will it still be used as a truck for hauling items or towing?
2WD or 4WD?
Keeping the Stock gear ratios? tire height?

It's my daily driver that I use for hunting and fishing as well as getting a little muddy from time to time. It's a 2wd now but when I get moved, I'll be covering it to 4x4 with a solid axle and using it for some light farming.

It has all the power it needs, just needs to increase the fun factor. I'd like to see over 200 hp and 400 tq to the wheels.

You're not going to want to hear this, but if you are expecting that much low speed torque, you need a bigger engine. There are lots of things you can do to increase the HP of a 300, but not much to increase the low speed torque and retain reliability. Ford knew what they were doing in designing this engine for this application.

What could I be looking at? Just a cam, intake work, a little porting on the head and a good tune? I'm not looking to go wild, I understand what this engine was designed for and it's a truck, I'll buy something else to go fast in. This thing is a work truck that just needs a little extra.

jarryd2018":2bidua4l said:
What could I be looking at? Just a cam, intake work, a little porting on the head and a good tune? I'm not looking to go wild, I understand what this engine was designed for and it's a truck, I'll buy something else to go fast in. This thing is a work truck that just needs a little extra.

Pretty much all of the above.
some of these 2WD trucks with a 300 EFI and 5 speed had 2.73 gears.
If you want to do ANY towing and want the clutch to last I'd go for 3.73 or even 4.10 if you are going to run any bigger tires.
If you have 2.73s now you will not believe the difference in pulling power with just a gear change.

I already swapped from 3.08 to 3.55. Made a night and day difference. I'm trying to hunt dow a set of 4.10s for cheap.

I'm wondering how much I'll notice with the mods I mentioned and how much I can expect to gain.

I'd be looking at a very mild port on the head, more of a polish than anything and work on the runners. A nice cleanup on the intake to get it flowing better. Mild cam, andtuning to allow for bigger injectors.

E4ODnut":3pqdsp7v said:
You are hoping to get 400 ft lbs torque out of a 300?

Was throwing that out there. If it's not possible that's fine. I'd like more than I have and for it to continue making power as the rpms climb.

Try bumping your base timing with the spout ou to around 12.5. Stock is 10, gave me enough torque to ruin 32 x 11.50 tires in second gear with 3.08 rear end, not bad. I always run 93 when towing now for insurance against pinging with increased timing

Back