2bbl head

Ba Mustang

Is there a 200 or 250 head that will allow for a 2bbl carb to bolt up to it stock without any modifications? I've been thinking about getting one if they are out there to help me mod the 200 some more after I get rims and paint.

There are no stock heads that will allow a 2Bbl carb to be mounted directly on it.

You could purchase a late head with the larger carb opening along with one of Mike's new adapters. This would be the best way to get a 2Bbl carb without
modifying the head.

How much HP can you get out of a 5.0? Real HP that you can afford? How much more weight will the car bare having a 5.0? Now, have you ever considered a 300+ HP Six cylinder?

Bayrunner":olx27sky said:
How much HP can you get out of a 5.0? Real HP that you can afford? How much more weight will the car bare having a 5.0? Now, have you ever considered a 300+ HP Six cylinder?
HP depends, I could afford it, weight doesn't matter to me. I have considered a 300, but I don't want to spend the extra money on a 3rd hood and I definitely don't want to mess with the two I have now.

What if mikes came at a reasonable price? You wouldn't need to have head work done at all and it comes modified. It might be the best option for the money I just have no clue what it will cost.

Bayrunner":37yo24z6 said:
actully the falcon handbook says the 200 weighs 385 pounds and the 302 weighs 460 pounds.throw some used aluminum heads and intake on the 302 for maybe five hundred dollars and ill but the weight will be pretty close.

Yeah the money to reliable power ratio with the 5.0 is just not a fair comparison due to the cheapness and displacement (for which theres no replacement) that said the sixes are just cool :). Honestly the mod doesn't look too hard and i'm seriously contemplating attempting it with my buddy in his garage and maybe even making our own carb plates.

That said i would love to pick up a late model head so i don't have to pay for bigger valves but it looks like every late model head for sale is way far away so with shipping i'd be paying the same as if i just got my spare 66 head worked over with larger valves.

Obviously Mike doesn't have the modified heads listed, but he does list a lot of machine work at various prices things like two barel upgrade and porting options. It's not easy to find a late head for sale in some locations at all. which is my problem.

dollar for dollar, the 302 will beat out a 200 and 250 for the price per HP.

Pound for Pound, the 302 will beat out the 200 and 250 for weight per HP.

Sure, there are other things that have to be done to convert, but still...the overall advantage will go to a 302 everytime. the 200 does not save enough weight to compensate.

Anyone who says otherwise is smoking something. There is a reason why the 289/302 block lasted for over 40 years in Ford's line up. Explorers had them until 2001. The amount of aftermarket parts for the 302 makes the price so cheap it's ridiculous. for the sixes, we used to have Clifford. Now we have Mike (who does keep his prices reasonable for the market) and our own innovation.

Building a six is not the same mindset as building a 302. If you want lots of HP. 302. If you wants lots of well documented builds? 302. If you want cheap HP? If you want to look like every other resto-mod mustang at a show? 302.

If you want to be slightly different? Build a 6.

I met a friend once at a show and shine. He brought his beautiful 68GT500. Gorgeous car. He parked beside my 65. Now, the pictures of my engine bay make it look better than it looks in person. It is rough. The car is now where near showroom or show condition. I had a bigger crowd around my car than he did. Why? Everyone has seen built V-8s. So little out there that hasn't been done already at least a few hundred times. How many people have seen a tri-carb 200? (which is what I was running at the time).

8) slade hit the nail on the head, so to speak. getting new aluminum heads for a small block ford or chevy for around $1200 is fairly easy because so many are sold. getting the classicinlines head for $1500 or so is still not a bad deal considering the limited volume of the head, and the fact that there is only one supplier.

but again as slade indicated, if all you want is lots of power cheaply, build a 302. you can make 400 normally aspirated horsepower from one with ease, compared to 200 horsepower from a small six. not to mention the amount of torque you can make from a V8.

building a six though is a fun challenge. it is also different.

CobraSix":1p1pk296 said:
I met a friend once at a show and shine. He brought his beautiful 68GT500. Gorgeous car. He parked beside my 65. Now, the pictures of my engine bay make it look better than it looks in person. It is rough. The car is now where near showroom or show condition. I had a bigger crowd around my car than he did. Why? Everyone has seen built V-8s. So little out there that hasn't been done already at least a few hundred times. How many people have seen a tri-carb 200? (which is what I was running at the time).
I've had that happen before too. Happened in May of this year at our annual car show. I was the last car to show up and people gathered around me when I popped the hood. It really caught some attention when they noticed it was an I6. I also won 2nd place in the occasionally driven class.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297 ... 91706a.jpg

That is what it looked like during the show except for the grille. I didn't have my corral installed then. It is going under a major change right now.

I plan on modifying the head of my 204ci I6. I'm going to go direct mount 2bbl HW5200, 1.56 exhaust valves and 1.84 intake valves, 302 valve springs, cam shaft, custom made turbo header(I want to try and make one), and turbo. Hope to finish that all up before next May so I can pretty much unveil it there. Also might be getting a set of 99 GT seats to go in it.

Current look: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297 ... work/3.jpg
Gets 17x8 and 17x9.5 bullitt style rims next week, paint hopefully at the end of January, and eleanor side scoops.

Back