Scary thing happened yesterday.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Econoline

Scary thing happened yesterday.

Post #1 by Econoline » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

I was tinkering with the van yesterday, tuning the carb b/c I had adjusted the timing the day before. I started the van up and was adjusting the carb and checking the vacuum when I noticed a strong raw fuel smell. I began to investigate and found fuel was seeping out of the stock fuel filter at the carb! It was seeping/bubbling out of the seam where the body of the filter is attached to the end that has the wrench flats and threads into the carb body and was running down along the bottom of the filter then hose and dripping onto the intake. I will be replacing this filter with an 1/8" mpt x 5/16 barb fitting and using an inline metal filter b/c I will NEVER be able to trust one of these type of filters again. The filter was a WIX brand, stamped Mexico. Thank God I was tinkering with it and noticed the leak, could have been a real disaster! Warning to anyone running one of these stock style filters at the carb inlet. That filter had been on there leak free since I swapped carbs at least 1000 miles ago or more.
It ain't gonna fix itself

chad

Re: Scary thing happened yesterday.

Post #2 by chad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

hummm, pretty standard piece.

I bet (as U might) most of us gottem.

Thanks for the heads up.
Will hafta ck'n C my own...
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #3 by woodbutcher » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

:hmmm: That is one reason why I won`t use those filters.The other is that they won`t stay tight in the carb.Had to re tighten them every two days or less..This is not a recent development either.I first experienced this problem about 10 years ago,and since then I won`t use them.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

rbohm
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by rbohm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 pm

i have never had a problem with one of those filters, except when one broke on me when i was tightening it up to spec. never had any leaks though, but i have had flow problems with those filters though, and they never seem to last very long either.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

my mind is aglow with whiriling
transient nodes of thought
careening through a cosmic vapor
of invention