All Small Six 200 Autolite 1100 spacer

This relates to all small sixes
I can adapt a Autolite 1100 to a large log head for the price of a piece of scrap 1/8" steel plate while using the original carb adapter with the heater hose connections..
I only reposted the original topic to justify why I was helping someone do something that would be a real performance killer.
It had nothing to do with your perception of my comment suggesting you were off topic.
If a person wanted to run a stock Autolite 1100 air cleaner a Carter YF, YFA or small base 2 barrel can be hid under it with a little work.
It's easy to enlarge the air cleaner inlet.
There are even large log 1V's that use the same throttle linkage as the Autolite 1100.
A good running large log engine needs about twice the CFM flow of an Autolite 1100.
I run a 65 Falcon air cleaner on my 200 that has a small base 2V on it.
I would never run a crappy looking Weber air cleaner on my 78 200.
I also would never run an unmodified VI Weber adapter or a stock large log intake bore which can be enlarged for great performance..
My 78 200 with an eBay header hauls @ss on I-80 with 6 forward gears provided by a C4 with a GV overdrive.
I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
I can adapt a Autolite 1100 to a large log head for the price of a piece of scrap 1/8" steel plate while using the original carb adapter with the heater hose connections..
I only reposted the original topic to justify why I was helping someone do something that would be a real performance killer.
It had nothing to do with your perception of my comment suggesting you were off topic.
If a person wanted to run a stock Autolite 1100 air cleaner a Carter YF, YFA or small base 2 barrel can be hid under it with a little work.
It's easy to enlarge the air cleaner inlet.
There are even large log 1V's that use the same throttle linkage as the Autolite 1100.
A good running large log engine needs about twice the CFM flow of an Autolite 1100.
I run a 65 Falcon air cleaner on my 200 that has a small base 2V on it.
I would never run a crappy looking Weber air cleaner on my 78 200.
I also would never run an unmodified VI Weber adapter or a stock large log intake bore which can be enlarged for great performance..
My 78 200 with an eBay header hauls @ss on I-80 with 6 forward gears provided by a C4 with a GV overdrive.
I am very happy with it.
Understood. I posted my Weber 38 setup because I wasn't happy with the Autolite 1100 on my big log head and was offering an alternative. I felt that the engine wouldn't realize its potential with the 1V setup. I assume that the PO may not have the skills or tools to modify things himself or wanted to keep the stock appearance of his engine. I plan on pulling my own head later on and doing some modifications, but right now my focus is elsewhere. I think that our cars evolve since it's not possible to get everything done at once.

As for the Weber air cleaner, I like it. However, I have an aluminum housing that I plan to put on after fabricating a cold air intake. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla-different flavors for different folks.

Understood. I posted my Weber 38 setup because I wasn't happy with the Autolite 1100 on my big log head and was offering an alternative. I felt that the engine wouldn't realize its potential with the 1V setup. I assume that the PO may not have the skills or tools to modify things himself or wanted to keep the stock appearance of his engine. I plan on pulling my own head later on and doing some modifications, but right now my focus is elsewhere. I think that our cars evolve since it's not possible to get everything done at once.

As for the Weber air cleaner, I like it. However, I have an aluminum housing that I plan to put on after fabricating a cold air intake. I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla-different flavors for different folks.
The Weber air cleaner on a hot day sucks under hood oven temp. air into the carb.
My carb runs cool to the touch on a hot California summer day. It draws in cooler outside air from in front of the radiator support.
Cool fuel from insulated pressure and return lines also cool the carb. I don't pre-heat my fuel with a mechanical fuel pump.
I once enlarged the intake bore on a D8 head without removing it. I stuffed rags into the log manifold then shop vacuumed it.
I have had only one car (which is 200 six powered) for over 30 + years so my focus is never elsewhere.
I make my own aluminum carb adapters. The small log to large log carb. adapter is more challenging to make. I made one along with enlarging the small log intake bore to the size of the stock large log intake bore. Cooling the carb. with cool air and gas.JPG

Back