All Small Six 200 water pump

This relates to all small sixes

todd1974

I have a 200 6 cylinder that was supposed to be out of a 1975 garnada but block says 68. I ordered a water pump for garnada no a/c and it's way to long and impeller is to big. Any idea of what i need?

Attachments

• 20230408_155944.jpg
    20230408_155944.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230408_160011.jpg
    20230408_160011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I put a Gates 42055 pump on my 200. Mine is a '78 block. The pump looks like the one on the left in your first pic and secures with 3 bolts.

Hi todd1974, sorry but your engine and it's front dress parts I.E. Pulleys Brackets etc. were never out of a Factory Stock 1975 or newer Ford Granada no mater what the pervious owner might of lead you to believe. There were only two water pumps used on the 200 Ford Six's, the first one was also used on all of the 144, 170 and early 200 Ford Small Six's that were built on or before April 18, 1975. The longer later model 200 water pumps didn't start being installed until April 19, 1975 and were then used until the end of Ford 200 Six production in 1983. As you have found these later model Water Pumps are 1/2 inch longer than the early short water pump's. See the below picture for examples of the two water pumps side by side courteously of the research of long time site member “Rick Wrench”. As a side note your likely going to have much better luck getting all the right engine related parts for your 200 Six by saying you want the parts for a 1968 to 1971 200 Six Falcon or Mustang or some of the other 200 Six's up to 1974, good luck in the hunt.

Attachments

• Ford 200 Six Water Pump Lenghts.jpg
    Ford 200 Six Water Pump Lenghts.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2
I run a short 65 water pump, 65 single groove water pump pulley and 65 single groove damper on my 78 200.
This allows me to run a fan with no spacer for more fan to radiator clearance.

I have found that having your water pump off is a good time to flush the block. Plumb your garden hose into the heater outlet on the side of the head and let it run a while. You can put a finger over a port on the front of the head that will spit back out at you, increasing flow into the engine. With the front of the block open, dirt and rust are carried out of the water jacket much more efficiently.

I took my old 3 row copper brass radator out laid it flat then filled it with Home depot cleaning vinegar. I let it sit overnight turned it upside down and flushed it out with a garden hose. It was summer so I filled the cooling system with distilled water. I ran the distilled water for a couple months draining + refilling it a few times. The inside of my old radiator now looks great. Distilled water is a solvent.

Yea, at my old job (R&D at a hi-tech, hi-end medical laboratory equipment manufacturer) we used to use some extremely pure distilled water once in a while. The stuff was almost caustic, it would etch glass in a day or two!

I have a dehumidifier in the garage that kicks out about 10 gallons of clean water a couple of times a week. That's my source of mineral-free water for my radiators. My primary reason for buying one was to stop my tools from rusting here in hot and humid Alabama. It works great for that as well.

Last edited:
Back