All Small Six 68 small log head porting

This relates to all small sixes
…does somebody know a manufacturer that could reproduce one?
yup, but BIG bucks (a ' customizing ' process). You could search out such, or use the correct copper plate w/spray on 'gasket maker'. These are usually left to the more experienced engine builders (esp due to cutting a precise pattern thru).

Last edited:
Their might still be a company out there yet that can make you a custom copper head gasket.

we gota thread on it. Try "Search"...

Shouldn't it actually be cheap and easy to make a new steel shim head gasket? A quick scan of an original one, followed by a minute of laser cutting, and bingo, a new head gasket. Seems like a lot of places could crank them out no problem. I'm no expert, but I watched similar stuff happen where I used to work all the time.

How would you do all the embossing that seal the cylinder, water and oil ports. It is not just flat.

ck the 4 listings in our "Design & Make" forum. Lasers, CAD programs, industrial equip is not readily available to many of us.
Perhaps U could offer such service?
/OR/
"...does somebody know a manufacturer that could reproduce one?..." a name of 1?

"...How would you do..."
w/a press, same way as steel shim (not easy w/o heavy industrial equip)...

I got in contact with cometic, they make MLS gaskets for the 250s, I will keep you all posted...

sounds like the 1 in our threads.
Get that wallet ready !
8^ )

I just heard back from Cometic, they have only two types of head gaskets for the 200ci available: Composite and copper.

Compressed thicknesses available for composite: .043" and .059"
Compressed thicknesses available for copper: .005" .010" .016" .020" .027" .032" .043" .050" .063" .080" and .094"

What does the forum think about copper head gaskets, in the range of .020" - .027" thickness (to get in the 0.04" quench range). Are they a good alternative to the composites?

I will edit this post when I know how much these gaskets will cost.
EDIT: they should be around 70.00 Australian Dollar

Last edited:
Copper gaskets are a race thing that use O-rings in the head or block to contain high combustion pressures, but they tend to leak at the water passages. Not good for a part daily mild build.

Copper gaskets are a race thing that use O-rings in the head or block to contain high combustion pressures, but they tend to leak at the water passages. Not good for a part daily mild build.
Maybe a dumb question of mine, but would something like the "permatex aviation form a gasket" solve the leaking around the water passages, or is it better to just stay away from these type of head gaskets?

guys who use them have alota $ in their engines. As hi porformance they tear them down after a few passes or end of day laps. Inspect, replace, etc. If the copper is still good thay put a new adhesive spray on and go again. Not every wkend, season long tho. A coupla races (WOT non- stop)...

6 or 8 to 1 CR, bubs?

Chad stock I think they were about 4 to 1 they also made a smaller chamber head to that that I used it was around 5 to 1, which gave them blistering performance LOL. They have some higher compression aftermarket heads (Winflied) that they are reproducing again as well as a couple OHV heads. As a side note I took my first Model A a restored stocker to the local Drags (Irwindale, Ca.) and ran a best of a 24.57 time and I think 54 MPH.

OMG !
Sounds like U may have been there when Offie came over from the mariene to automovtive world. No what? EVERY time is exciting. We all play at the edge of "the new". Pushing "from the 24s to the 20s" was just as mind blowing as from "the low 7s to the 6s". Right now we debate using the 850 HP (too expensive) or stayin w/the 700. How to do as well as the money guys w/ zipo budget, all DIY~

The price for one copper head gasket would be around 70,00 Australian Dollar.
I still hope powerband will get back to me so I can buy one of his used steel shim gaskets...

How would you do all the embossing that seal the cylinder, water and oil ports. It is not just flat.
I wasn't aware there were such complexities. The only steel gasket I ever saw was used, and it looked featureless and flat to me. The extras would make it not such an easy process. Time for a printer to add some sealing rings on the steel!

Back