All Small Six Air Cleaner that fits Carter RBS?

This relates to all small sixes

Asa

2K+
VIP
So I've got my Carter RBS installed, but the air cleaner that came with it (from a Maverick) doesn't fit underhood for some reason. Now I'm looking for a universal style filter that might work.

Looking at Summit and Jegs and such doesn't give much help, Summit appears to be the best of the group but they still are annoyingly sparse on size specifications. It appears that most of the non-K&N housings supply a plastic adapter plate which isn't ideal. I may order one of them and a plate of aluminum and turn it down for an adapter, but that's a lot of work for a cheap air filter.

I was wondering if anyone has any somewhat cheap options that has worked in the past?

I found an air cleaner from a 71 Mustang on eBay. It fits the RBS on my 66 Mustang with a 250 and I can close the stock hood without anything hitting. I think they used the same unit on 1970 and up Mustangs, Mavericks and Comets (and maybe Granadas, Monarchs, Torinos and Montegos) with the 250 I6. The later ones will have more holes for sensors that you may have to plug though.

Last edited:
If the underhood interference is out at the edges of the air cleaner assembly, maybe with a hood stiffening rib or something, and not just a center maximum height issue, there's a cheap thing to try. Carve away all the air cleaner sheet metal that extends past the actual filter, and turn it into a minimalist open element design.

6 or 8 "raise the hood" techniques. One is use of the RBS or 1100 (Y I got the carter - plus the increased flow/1V). So I'm mildly surprised U still have problems. PM me at my aol.com bx for 6 or 7 more.

Back