Block/Head ID - 1969 144 head with 1.425 intake bore?

jarrod

I have a 64 Ranchero that was given to me by a friend. All he knew is that it had "some work" done. I don't know anything else about who had it before him or what they may have done to it. It was leaking gas around the carb so I went to rebuild the carb the other day and discovered that the needle and seat had been cross-threaded and "sealed." I ordered a new carb and after installing it I realized that the intake bore on the log was 1.425 (or there about, I used a harbor freight digital caliper), too small for the 1.5 butterfly valve on the new carb to open. I put the bottom of the old carb on the new carb and it's running but it really got me thinking about trying to identify pieces of my Franken-engine...

Here's what I know:
The VIN indicates the car originally had a 170
It's definitely got the LOM and a Holley 1940 carb with SCV.
Block: C4DE-6015-A; Blue; 3 freeze plugs; no "T" or "N" block code
Head: C9DE-6090-M; blue with blue valve cover; 1.425 Intake bore

Here's what I think:
I'm guessing that the block is the orginal 170 and the head is a 144 (because of the intake bore). But did Ford make the 144 in 1969 and doesn't the "D" in the code identify it as being for a Falcon?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

-jarrod

1964 was last year of the 144 so your head is likely a 170 or 200 head you could grind out the heads carb inlet (in a funnel shape at the top) to fit or make an adapter out of Alum or steel 3/8 or maybe even a 1/4 inch thick should be just enough for the carbs throttle blade to clear. :nod:

Do check what your measuring. There is a carb adaptor that looks a lot like the top of the log head, but its an adapter, and underneath, it could be a 1.5" or greater log head.

The 250 engine was phased in via the um, pickup line in Fairlane/Ranchero and as a rare 1968 250 option to the Mustang. Right then, the head casting used for that engine got upsized in the intake port, but all the 170 and 200's had the small intake port for some time after.

Ford had an empty box policy, so its possible many 1969 castings still had the early below 1.5" intake hole.

I use a 1981model year, 1946 model name Holley 1bbl on my 1.3" hole 1963 log head.

I made an adaptor out of 3/8" alloy stock, and spent a day with a little 5/32 drill and rat hole file to make mine, then used astepped plunge attachment to make some holes for the stud bolts to bolt up to. You can make the big stuff fit the little stuff easily, which is just what Ak Miller did in horsing around with the Mustang Six to fit a Big Six 240 carb to a little 1967 log head.

See page 3 of the article here at Classic Inlines. http://www.classicinlines.com/HA3.asp

When trying to install it we found we had to open up the aluminum heater manifold that sits underneath the carburetor to match the newer and larger carburetor opening. This was accomplished by tapering it out to the size of the new throttle bore.

Back