All Small Six Clutch and flywheel

This relates to all small sixes
Wyowanderer- I second Bubba's recommendation to have the flywheel resurfaced. It's a good practice with any clutch replacement. I've had a couple over the years that were badly gouged and heat soaked, they all cleaned up to perfection. Unless there is a major problem with the original flywheel, don't replace it IMO.

I would wait till you take it apart maybe the clutch and flywheel are like new, you never know.
I no longer replace good old parts with brand new junk.
I agree with you and Frank - I'll do that first. I'm just wanting a shorter time between pulling the old engine out and stabbing the new one, and I don't mind buying new parts if it's useful to achieve that goal.

More questions...
I'm looking hard at a 200 in a Fairmont with a 4 speed manual at a local yard - owner says it runs well, and it's cheap enough.
What's the likelihood this engine will mate up to my van without mods? I'd prefer to use the van's clutch/bellhousing so I don't have to do a bunch of mods to the shift rods/speedo/driveline length.
The engine in question has a high starter, if that's relevant.

Yes its relevant, if it's a High mount starter than it will be nearly a direct bolt in. The main difference is that the Fairmont's and the other Fox Chassis cars use a different Oil Pan, plus the Oil Pump Pick Up Tube, also the Oil Dip Stick and its Block Tube. So you will need to use all those parts from the original Econoline engine 144, 170 or 200 Ford small six so which ever one of those you have now it will work on the Fairmount engine to convert it for use into your Econoline. You can use a small freeze Plug or drill and Tap it for a screw in plug to close that Oil Dip Stick Hole that not used the block should be drilled for the dip stick position that you need. All the Ford 200 Small Six short block's from 1966 to 1981 with a High Mount Starter are drilled with both the Small and Larger Bell Housing Bolt Patterns so you can use either size on those blocks and all your current parts will bolt on to it. Best of luck

What will you do with the 4 speed manual? Someone on this forum? used a column shift with a 4 speed and a push/pull cable apparatus to engage reverse which to me seemed pretty awesome as I like column shifters.

What will you do with the 4 speed manual? Someone on this forum? used a column shift with a 4 speed and a push/pull cable apparatus to engage reverse which to me seemed pretty awesome as I like column shifters.
I doubt I'll even buy it. I'm intent on keeping the van pretty stock, and I'm not interested in building a shifter to engage reverse. If someone wants it, I can pick it up, although I doubt I'll be able to get a price for it for a couple days. If there's interest, I'll ask.

I doubt I'll even buy it. I'm intent on keeping the van pretty stock
I second that. The 3.03 trans is tough, and anything else you're going to have to cut the floor and fab the shifter- that's not keeping it stock. The stock clutch size is plenty of clutch. A 3 on the tree is a great driver. . Rebuild the engine, surface the flywheel, new stock clutch parts, change the oil in the trans and rear, and away you go.

Understand the keeping it stock approach. The 4 speed manual sounds like the 3 speed plus od trans which might be getting scarce not sure. If it is cheap might be good to have just because. If it was closer I would get it.

Understand the keeping it stock approach. The 4 speed manual sounds like the 3 speed plus od trans which might be getting scarce not sure. If it is cheap might be good to have just because. A 200If it was closer I would get it.
And I'm not denigrating the upgrade, I'm installing a 200 for Pete's sake.
But my focus on the van is simplicity, and upgrades that make it better for my use.

Back