Engine out...rear main, clutch, ???

B RON CO":1yf1f926 said:
Hi, if the 9" pressure plate is a direct bolt on to the flywheel I think it will work fine.
The "Long" style three finger pressure plate is what Ford used. There is also a thick and thin throwout bearing. I like to stay with the original style parts. If you want a diaphragm style setup make sure you get the correct throwout bearing. You may also have to make the rod that pushes the clutch fork longer.
Good luck

My clutch was beyond the ability to be rebuilt. There really aren't many options out there so after searching hi and low, I ended up going with the diaphragm clutch sold by Tom's Bronco Parts https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...5-diaphragm-style-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new. It comes with the throwout bearing, and I went ahead and ordered the roller pilot they recommend for it. I've got the bellhousing cleaned out and I'll have to say that oven cleaner worked quite well. I inquired about using it because it tends to stay in place.

All of my parts (clutch, timing chain kit, rod bearing kit, freeze plugs) should be here next week so I'll do some engine bay cleanup while I'm waiting. Think I'll replace the front brake lines as well while it's so accessible.

Attachments

• IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
At long last I've got everything back together. I swear a good portion of the last month felt like I was waiting for parts. For those that don't want to read all of this thread, I had a rear main leak that killed off my nearly gone clutch. I also had a leaking oil pan at the dipstick tube. On the advice of the folks here, I decided to pull the engine and take care of a number of items. Here's a list of what I accomplished while I had the engine out:

Installed a rebuilt clutch and disc
Had the flywheel ground
New ring gear, as mine was pretty hammered
New throwout bearing
Rebuilt the harmonic balancer after noticing a missing chunk of rubber
New roller bushing
Pulled the crankshaft and put in new rod bearings (for what it's worth, Plastigage is a bit annoying)
New neoprene rear main seal, new front seal
New timing chain and gears
Replaced all the freeze plugs
Drilled out rivets for dipstick tube and re-sealed and riveted
Replaced all the front brake lines since access was so easy
New FlowKooler water pump
New 195* thermostat
New coolant hoses
Installed Remflex exhaust gasket
Replaced all of the exhaust manifold bolts with AMK exhaust bolts
Cleaned the engine bay and yanked out extraneous wiring installed by the original owner

I'm probably forgetting a number of things. I put the engine back a few days ago and have taken it on test drives. So far I'm happy to report there aren't any leaks, and the clutch is smoooooooth. Thanks to all that chipped in with advice to this completely novice mechanic! It honestly wasn't as daunting as I first imagined. Here are a few pics, because you always need to post pics.

Brent

Attachments

• IMG_5481.JPG
    IMG_5481.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5472.JPG
    IMG_5472.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Congratulations on a job well done and your Bronco looks really great to with the cleaning and detail work.

Way to go!
I feel since we are keeping these cars long term you have to go all the way.
Good luck

Warning:- If your using later than Bronco Bronco parts, like the 1979-1981 Fox bellhousings, they have internal flanges which prevent use of the 9-1/4 or 9-3/8" clutches

According to Stormin'Norman, if you have a Fox D9 or E1 bellhousing, don't use the common 3.03" trans stock 136 teeth 9.25" clutch.

That's because the manual 1978-1981 3.3 liter Fox can only take a 9" clutch due to those internal flanges,

d9_e1_i6_2013-09-07-369_zps62ad30fc.jpg

Aftermarket clutches for the 1966-1977 Bronco 170/200 , 1969.5-1973, 1969.5 to 1978 Maverick 170/200 3.03 trans. and Early Bronco guys have an off the shelf 9.25" clutch for the 3.03 layshaft center Toploder trans.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...5-diaphragm-style-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

But it won't fit inside a D9BC-6392 CA or E1ZR-6394-AA bellhousing

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthr...I6-Clutch-Won-t-Disengage-Missing-Information

Congratulations on a job well done and your Bronco looks really great to with the cleaning and detail work.
Thank you! I really didn't want to deal with the engine bay mess, but I decided to do it once I was stalled out waiting for parts. I'm really glad I did.

Way to go!
I feel since we are keeping these cars long term you have to go all the way.
Good luck
Thanks! I couldn't agree more. And thanks for the suggestions along the way! I sure like knowing what has been done to the engine instead of wondering about the history.

Warning:- If your using later than Bronco Bronco parts, like the 1979-1981 Fox bellhousings, they have internal flanges which prevent use of the 9-1/4 or 9-3/8" clutches
That's why I decided to stick with buying a rebuilt pressure plate and relined clutch disc. I looked at the kit from Tom's Bronco Parts and decided that I didn't want to have to grind the bellhousing flange. Plus, I like having original parts when I can.

I'd skip "the typical vendors" (Tom's, Jeff's...). "Kits", individual items - too hi priced. Ask a stang guy, the others. He goes to CJPhonry'n gets 'gouged'. Goes to 'the yards', big box stores, auto wearhouses - same product (often) better price.Thst's what we're here for. We can (most likely) name the M/M/Y swap-in 4 ya so U can meet ur need~

Engine bay looks good!
Thanks! It was well worth the effort (can't believe I debated doing it). I still have the underside of the hood to take care of but I'll wait until we're not below zero to attack that. By the way, that actually is a cake pan that was screwed to the top of the passenger fender 🤨.

Last edited:
Wondered what that was. Don't believe I have seen that before.

Back