All Small Six No Clutch bracket bolt boss on E1BE block

This relates to all small sixes

Dr_Dan_WWW

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Well this is unfortunate. I'm prepping my '83 E1BE engine to replace my '66 Bronco's 170, and I just noticed there is no clutch bracket boss on the '83 short block. I suppose Ford made some heavy-duty bracket for 3 spds?? I know this isn't "ford six" engine work, but any help is appreciated, specifically help needed on what this bracket looks like. The shop manual did not mention it and "maybe??" had a partial diagram of a bracket. dunno. Thanks in advance.

Here's the comparison photos between the 170 clutch boss and the '83 no boss... look for orange pointer.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8963.JPG
    IMG_8963.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Ford started using the Clutch Cables in 1979 so there wasn't the need for having that Clutch Z Bar Boss after awhile.

Dan do you know that you have a big bell low mount starter block? and if so what was the plan for mating to your bell housing?

1 of typical vendors hasa bolt/bracket kinda thing, no?
I think I used it to put the 4.1 & NV 3550 in (or tried w/
actually another wrk round).

Okay, thanks. I will start searching around. The Bronco swap out may be weird because the E1BE came out of the 83 Fairmont, automatic.

Dan do you know that you have a big bell low mount starter block? and if so what was the plan for mating to your bell housing?
Yes, big bell, low mount starter. I have the new aluminum bell. Does it have the appropriate bolt holes? I can't really tell by looking at it.

Ok, good that you knew, and have a plan to make it all work, I was not sure.

Last edited:
May have drilled one, or the bolt/bracket wuz da wrk round.
This is the '69 250.
May have used the WH hrdwear & WH's extended clutch push rod.
Need to look as it wuz quite awhile ago.
(Toms & BCB may have been involved 2).

Last edited:
May have drilled one, or the bolt/bracket wuz da wrk round.
This is the '69 250.
May have used the WH hrdwear & WH's extended clutch push rod.
Need to look as it wuz quite awhile ago.
(Toms & BCB may have been involved 2).
wildhorses? Ok. I'll look (gotta go to work now). Also, I was on Modern Drive Line (MDL) and they seem to be in the right ballpark - if I can figure out exactly which bracket and clutch cable I would need. It is made difficult because I don't have the engine and bell housing together and in the Bronco.

170 bronco manual drive train and Big bell low starter block is not in my wheelhouse, so I am not schooled on them.
But I know that the bellhousing and flywheel have to match. Do you have a flywheel that will match the bell housing and fit the 200 crank flange and the bell will fit your trans? You said you have a new bellhousing what new bellhousing is it?
I am asking these questions to save you from buying parts twice.

170 bronco manual drive train and Big bell low starter block is not in my wheelhouse, so I am not schooled on them.
But I know that the bellhousing and flywheel have to match. Do you have a flywheel that will match the bell housing and fit the 200 crank flange and the bell will fit your trans? You said you have a new bellhousing what new bellhousing is it?
I am asking these questions to save you from buying parts twice.
Right. I have the proper flywheel. It's been over a year since I did all the research and purchased parts (Bubba22349 guided me). So I am little fogged on details. But fortunately I have a spreadsheet! I have a LUK Clutch LFW132 (164 tooth) flywheel. The bell is SBF 302 six bolt.

Thanks you Bubba.
I have been puzzling over this since I first posted. All possible solutions are on the table right now. It's a weird situation: I have a a 302 bell, an '83 Ford Fairmont I6 low mount (no boss) and a '66 170 clutch z bar.

My first impulse is to fabricate a bracket that simply imitates the location old C6DE threaded boss. But that's quite a bracket because it is 1) tight location 2) not much to bolt up to. I mean I can bolt up to a couple of bell housing bolts and then weld up some steel to locate and find the z bar. This solution would be easier if I can just cut off a couple inches off the z bar. But that would be its own problem to solve.

The second idea is just start buying 302 clutch brackets for T5s or C4s or something. But I notice these bracket assume you have a 302 block and can bore and thread into the block f - and you still don't know exactly what the 302 z bar you are trying to match (since I don't have one!).

Third idea is to covert over to a cable like you suggest. I like the cable idea because it is literally flexible. As long as the bracket only wants to bolt up to the bell housing at a couple locations, then I think I am good. I need to find some YouTube videos of people installing these cables. I have no idea how it attaches to the clutch pedal and through the firewall.

Actually I do know how the clutch cable assembles. I have the 83 Fairmont shop manual. So - I don't have the 83 "Brake Pedal Support" that fits above the steering column inside the car, under the dash. I think I need to go back to figuring out how to fabricate a bracket that imitates and takes the place of the missing engine boss.

Because your 1983 E1BE Block is mostly the same Bell Housing dimensions as the 302 SBF V8's and exactly the same at bottom of the Bell Housing you would need to use a 1966 to 1977 Ford Bronco V8 Equalizer Bar. These are fairly easy to find compared to finding a Six Cylinder Equalizer Bar, they look like this. https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Equalizer_Bar/Early_Bronco_Clutch

For that Late B1BE Short Blocks lack of a Mounting Boss for the Equalizer Bar it turns out the Bronco guy's swapping in the later EFI V8 engines also run into this same problem since there is no Mounting Boss on those later 302 Blocks too. Here is the part that some use for fixing that it would seem that it should also work for your Block but I don't think anyone has ever tried it on a 200 Six Big Bell Block as of yet. Best wishes.

EFI CLUTCH EQUALIZER CONVERSION BRACKET
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...er_Conversion_Bracket/Early_Bronco_Clutch#pdf

dats da 1, post #5 (2nd link in #18). 13 postsa go~
No body lisiten but my buddy bubbie, er, ah, um,
"bubba"? yeah.

Last edited:
Help me out here, do not know 302's, but I thought that the bell's were made to use a 157-tooth flywheel and an MDL 157 tooth flywheel made for the 200 crank would the best way to make this work? or is this bellhousing made for a 164-tooth flywheel and then have to be drilled for the 200 crank.?

Back