I NEED ADVICE 200 GOING IN SHOP NEXT WEEK

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
8)

I just got off the phone with the machine shop.

The guy who is going to do it is Quinlin Automotive in Indy. He comes highly recommended and he does quality worka nd sells the parts at jobber.

I can get the entire shortblock done with Tempo pistons for well under $1000.00

If I wanted a stock rebuild of block and head he said I could get entire motor done for about a grand.

But If I decide to go turbo he can do the Chevy 305 pistons but cost will go up substantially, maybe as high as $1400.00 or more.

Also get this. He was shocked when I called. He said he hasnt seen a 200 I6 in 35 years and now I would be the second one in the same week! And the other guy also has a Oz head.

So I am thinking I can get the block done with ARP connectors and Tempo pistons for about $1000 and I can budget about $300-$400 in two weeks for the head.

Im thinking I should pass on the turbo setup as it will severely strain my budget and that is not even including cost for rest of odds and ends to connect it all.

This will be the setup

Block:
1978 200 block (If it can be bored)
Tempo HSC pistons for a 9.8:CR
stock rods
ARP rod and main bolts.
ARP head stud kit.
Comp Cams 260H(depends on cost, if AzCoupe is cheaper I may go that route. Even if its close Id rather go Az)

Head:
1972 Oz 250-2v casting stock rebuild
1.73" intake
1.49" exhaust
pocket ported and bowls blended.
Stock Oz intake modified to take a Holley 450cfm 4bbl on a 1" spacer
A cheap open element air filter with switch to March ram air setup later.
Pacesetter header from Inliner Six Performance parts.

C4 Automatic stock with a B&M shift kit.

By June I plan to have my 8.8 traction lock rear rebuilt with 3.55:1 gears installed.

8) i like the setup you have planned. if you decide at a later date to go with a turbo, you still can even with the tempo pistons but you would have to lower the boost.

Don't fotget to deck the block to .000 and have the engine balanced, it will really make a difference!

That sounds very exciting. One word of caution. If you "0" deck the block (a good thing) and use the flat top pistons, be careful how much you take off the head. Using the compression calculator on David's site you get 10:1 with 52cc chamber and a 0.045" gasket. Not that there is anything wrong with 10:1, but you would need a fuel booster and maybe water injection. For a street car I think you want to stay under 10.

Can't wiat to get some feedback when you're done. You have to dyno it.

Steve

hm, I cant offer much advice on many things unfortunately, since I dont know much bout these things.
I was wondering tho, I have seen alot about these 2v heads, is anyone buying 4v intakes to put on these heads ?
I have a somewhat old PAW book and it has I think 2 aluminum intakes available.

It says 240-300 cid Ford 6 cyls. THere is a "C" series and a Dual Port intake. Both accept Carter and HOlley STD bore 4bbl. Dualport is recommended w\ 390-500 cfm and the "C" series, 500 and larger.

At the time of catalog publishing- 2000, the prices were DP-$189.95 and "C" series $169.95 It said to remove kickdown for Carter 9400, 9500 and somehwat confussingly, I think it says universal linkage kit recommended in most installations.
Finally, THEY give #s of, stock 240 or 300, w\ these manifolds can increase pwr of 50 hp over stock and a 6 w\ DP, headers, cam produced as much as 115 hp over stock, o well.

I jus thought I'd mention it, I've seen it mentioned nowhere else. Course, I was shockt and PLESANTLY surprised to find anything for 6 cyls.
I have a 200cid -presumably 67 or later (I dont have any way, as of yet to identify the engines yr etc, I jus know it has 7 main caps as posed to the 4 mains), w\ strangely a 65 200 cid head on it, I've read the tidbits on Aussie heads but it snds like if I can jus get my hands on a 2?? or 300 cyl head locally, then I'd be well off. Can anyone recommend a head that would fit my 200 and what all I might have to do to get it to work ?

I'd rather not have to have all this machine work and changing valves, pistons, pushrods and all that, but if I must, can anyone tell me what I might have to do ? Thanx for any info : )

8)

144-170-200-250 is the small block inline six and are based on the same motor. Most if not all the cylinder heads will physically interchange but some models you dont want to use.

The 240-300 is the big block inline six.

None of the parts on the 240-300 interchange with the 144-250 family.

i have a 4v oz head. It was modified from the person whom i bought it from. I have pictues on my site. Http://clix.to/kstang if you scroll down to the oz head link it has some pictures. The head is in the shop right now while i am changing all the piston rings, when i get it back i plan on installing it. I found a gtech pro at a local mustang show and i got it for 20 bucks and it works. so when i have swaped it i will make some runs with it and post the results!!

Mk, thanx for the tidbits.
Say, Kstang, when I tried to look at your site just now, it gave me this message

20 Meg Limit Exceeded!

This site has exceeded its limit of 20 MB of transfer per day. The account can be upgraded to a paid account to increase the transfer limit to 3 Gigs of transfer per month in your bravepages.com user tools section.

R we gonna be able to see your site any time soon ?
I need to read up a lil more on those oz heads, I think I've seen them avaialble at 1 or 2 places I've seen. While it may not seem like a lil over $700 is alot, still, if those things r used and sold like, as is, I'm not sure thats, that good of a deal tho. I mean, there could be somethin wrong w\ it and well, u bought it as is ..... anh well.

A11, Has anyone ever tried using the Pacemakers on a fox bodied car? I thought I read somewhere on the forum that there were clearance issues but I don't remember exactly where the problem was......BTW the motor sounds like it will be sweeet.....

Bob

8)

I have asked the same thing but never gotten an answer. If you look at the Clifford header the front tubes come back then down.

The Pacesetter comes down and then back. I think the front two tubes will have to be cut and moved back to fit a Fox body.

:) I reckon they just might fit! Due to the RHD requirements for clearance, they bunch up pretty close to the back of the block. As long as the rack is cleared, you're smiling.

Cheers, Adam.

8)

The problem is that the I6 sits way forward and has a more substantial K member than the Classic Stang. I am worried that the two front tubes come down at a 45 degree angle. I dont see any way that they would miss the K member.

I could be wrong.

But I still think it would be cheaper to have the header cut and modified than to pay more for a Clifford and wait 8 weeks or more.

Back