Large Log 2V Head Carb Options

Chucks Ranchero

Hello All !

I'm working on pepping up my 61 Ranchero a bit for more reliable "daily driving".

Currently it has a 170 from a 1970 Maverick with the small log head.

I've found a large log 2V head, but it's a little different from others I've seen, pics attached. Looks like mounting a 2 barrel carb should be straight-forward. Anyone else have one of these, or know what type of carb would be a good choice for this mount ?

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

• 18C93CD2-62C3-4791-BF45-D788BC7CB62B.jpeg
    18C93CD2-62C3-4791-BF45-D788BC7CB62B.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 7C9E1EF5-A0FC-424E-A3A2-E19AAE52F088.jpeg
    7C9E1EF5-A0FC-424E-A3A2-E19AAE52F088.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 129
Great looking head what is the Casting number and Date Codes? (y) :nod:

2 X :...Casting number and Date Code..."
let's ID what it is as a starting place.
Measure everything U can (bolt CL to bolt CL, dia of the 2 'carb holes", look dwn deep into each 12 ports, cc head, measure dia of valve, etc, etc). Then U can (if not get more info like carbs as doing here) make some decisions.

Will this be a stop lght to stop lght cruser, strip car, grocery getter, 3Kmi per yr parade car, etc. The 'final application' (80% of use) determines the best choices from here~

Here's some info U may not have from above ' tech archive "
ci/LogMods.html#2VC

@ 5 posts I hope I'm not too late to say

W E L C O M E !!!

& nice find!

Thanks for the quick responses !

Sounds like I've found something useful !

It's an ebay find, very little detail in the posting other than pictures.
Once I have it in hand, I'll get numbers and measurements.

My goal is to have a "driver" that I can use for weekend chores and trips to the hardware store. This 61 Ranchero was my main driver for building a garage for my kids a couple summers back. Between the old 170 engine, an anemic carb, and the "Three on the Tree" I had to stick to side roads and ride the clutch to get up hills and the ramp to a storage unit I use to store stuff.

I was originally thinking a V8, but since it's a 61 the whole drive train and front end would need replacement. It would be cheaper to by a 63 or later lol

So I've decided to stick with the 6 and give it a little more oomph. Not much to do on the bottom end, flat pistons to make it easier to get to a reasonable compression ratio, improved head, and a 2-barrel carb. Some pretty headers too but that's just bling. I'll also replace the 3 on the tree with a 4 speed Dagenham or Modern Driveline T-5 kit and stick with the 7" pumpkin and 4 lug suspension.

I'm familiar with the issues for using a "large log" head with the 170, which will require some milling and decking to get the larger combustion chamber reduced enough to get to a reasonable compression ratio (I'm targeting 9.2 to 9.5). Lots of good info here and on the Vintage Inlines that covers those issues.

I'll post my progress and be back with more questions !

Chuck

Hi, nice score! With a head like that your engine will breath better.
I would have the valves and guides checked out. I would also CC the combustion chambers and figure out if it needs milling and if it has been milled before (probably has).
Have you done any other changes to the engine? Do you plan to? You can drop the head on or you can wait with it and plan for things like cam and ignition and gather some more parts.
I put a 2 barrel head on my 170 in my Bronco and a year later had a refreshed 200 short block ready.
Get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook and come up with a plan to get more from your Ford Six.
Good luck

"...weekend chores and trips to the hardware store..."
I'd say no big changes then. Let's C what the casting #s say...
CC the head to see what U got there (must ID all components of a 50 y/o vehicle as ur 1st step to more decisions). A DSII ign system (as its a '70 block) and the pinto or H/W 32/36 carb might B a good-un (U see them on everything & it's progressive so good MPGs till "U get in it" and the 2nd throat opens up). Turn the advance up a few degrees as they were stepping them back @ that time due to pollution controls. The pre pollution, early timing set/dual chain from a 200 may B (will it fit w/a change). Don't know abt these enuff but my bronk had huge counter weights on its 170. I'd think bout the 200 if seeking a peppy rev-er...
Keep talkin~

I am pretty sure that the 170 is a flat top piston
The head is an EO/ 80 largest log ''hex'' head ,it is a good head.

Be nice to have some numberson the bolt pattern of carb mount,but I'm gonna make a stab and say it looks like a rochester 2 bbl. like what I keep pulling off these old chebby.Pleas don't throw rocks at me...

Firepower354":1thihxwu said:
Did those have a divided exhaust port, stock?
No , that has been added..Note that that radiant fins have been covered over to better isolate the heat from intake.
One time I saw a mid 60s head the that I am sure was a stock port divided head on a comet.

working on pepping up my 61 Ranchero a bit for more reliable "daily driving".... Currently it has a 170 from a 1970 Maverick with the small log head. - ... goal is to have a "driver" that I can use for weekend chores and trips to the hardware store. - Not much to do on the bottom end, flat pistons to make it easier to get to a reasonable compression ratio, improved head, and a 2-barrel carb. Some pretty headers too but that's just bling. I'll also replace the 3 on the tree with a 4 speed Dagenham or Modern Driveline T-5 kit and stick with the 7" pumpkin and 4 lug suspension.

... all good 'welcomes' , and many good suggestions with your project. Mild 170 build with the simple fuel/ign. upgrades, 5 Spd Overdrive tranny and some suspension tuning can optimize drivability. T5 conversion is not exactly bolt-in but can really transform the driving experience. My '63 wagon is set up similar to your project. '63 more-door wagon has a '71 Maverick 170 cid six and I've driven it with original 3OTT, then a Dagenham 4 spd and finally the T5-OD . With the V8 T5 and OEM 3:50 :1 rear gears, I can carve country roads through the gears or cruise at interstate speeds in OD always in the six's torquey powerband. .For high RPM performance a big Holley or Autolite is fine but for low RPM response , cruise drivability and consistent idle, the progressive 2Bbl has worked best for me ( 10 years ).

have fun
\
. .
. .

OEM C8DE Ford 170, Precision Machine D7 Head . Oversize intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, . Milled head w/ Steel Shim Gasket. CR= 9.5:1. H/W 5200 - 2.8 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Champion racing spark plugs, Contact Point/Condensor distributor, Diaphragm Clutch. T5 Adaptor/5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, Addco rear sway bar , Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmember, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers. Shoulder belts front and belts for three in rear, Dual chamber master cylinder, OEM wide-wagon brakes, dual air line rear shocks, 14” wheels & tires, Countersprung Tailgate, Original tube radio …

Back