Long day with the cam!

Danny, call Clay Smith & see if they have a minimum order??
I will check my supply & see if i have an extra one in my inventory.
However don't wait for me. If Clay Smith has them go for it Advise. Bill

WSA11 and DannyG, Thank you guys! I just ordered from Clay Smith. When it comes in this baby is going back together!! Won't be long before those Does10's stainless pipes will be singing loud!! Oh yea, no min. one pin.

Still, how will U get it out w/o damage anywhere?
Only need to remove it if twisted up ~

My new cam didn't come with the pin so I wanted to use the one from the one I pulled. I can not believe how tight it is!!! Interference fit is Interference fit but this is ridiculous!!! Ha!

78 granada":12zre5t0 said:
My new cam didn't come with the pin so I wanted to use the one from the one I pulled. I can not believe how tight it is!!! Interference fit is Interference fit but this is ridiculous!!! Ha!
If you are not taking the pin out ,where are you getting the spacer from, to use on the new cam?

"...the spacer…"
behind the dowel/pin…

Glad U found the 'pin'.
U need that 'spacer' too? It's required.

You're right! Once I get a new pin in hand I will feel a lot better going medieval on the old one so I can reuse the spacer. Right now I haven't buggered up the old one yet - I quit when my mongo vice grips and heat didn't work. No guts!

"...No guts!…"
nah, plenty of guts!

U GO Man!
Patiently awating the nxt entry in the saga:

F a l c o n M o t o r R e b u i l d DELUX !!!

:party:

With a torch heat the front camshaft journal by the dowel pin & use a stout pair of vise grips or a chuck from a drill press or lathe to remove it. Good luck.

Bevel toward the cam journal. (y) Many builds have been messed up because of that spacer and blamed on the cheap timing chain. Red loc tite on the bolt and torqued.

Thanks - flat side toward frnt of engine/gear, bevel toward back/rest of the block...

:( so I just read this thread an realized that I tossed my cam before pulling the dawl and the washer/shim...... We all have those moments right? Anyways, does anyone know where to get the shim/washer for the cam?
I feel like a super tard right now lol

So it's OK to use a "new" one? I don't know what's up w/my guys (machinist ordered some wrong stuff, may not have kept the spacer, assembler is stuck).
What's it called at the prts house?
Any numbers like U gave me for the Timing Set?

EDIT:
3/29
he saved it, we have a disagreement on which side goes which.
We'll get it right (or is it left?)
:nono:
:unsure:
:rolflmao:

Mine was not as pretty as I would like when I pulled it off the used cam. Don't know what the history was but it's OK dimensionally so I'll use it. I tried to go through Ford and they (Thrustplate Spacer) have been discontinued. Tried Clay Smith and other cam manufacturers, parts stores, Melling etc. with no luck at all. If you have the dimensions its a no brainer for a machine shop but, yea....haven't been able to find a new one either.

'Stang ".....red Loctite..." what do you use if you need to pull it again? A torch and impact? I was used the blue last time. Just curious.

78 granada":he49qmkm said:
Mine was not as pretty as I would like when I pulled it off the used cam. Don't know what the history was but it's OK dimensionally so I'll use it. I tried to go through Ford and they (Thrustplate Spacer) have been discontinued. Tried Clay Smith and other cam manufacturers, parts stores, Melling etc. with no luck at all. If you have the dimensions its a no brainer for a machine shop but, yea....haven't been able to find a new one either.

'Stang ".....red Loctite..." what do you use if you need to pull it again? A torch and impact? I was used the blue last time. Just curious.
I hit it with the impact first, if that does not work a little heat on the bolt head works good. Frankly I work my junk so hard that I am happy if bolts are still tight. :shock:

It just so happens I had to move the cam pin from my old worn out cam to my new Isky Cam just today (200i6). I spent a short (thankfully) amount of time trying the heat, vise grip method to no avail. As I was not going to use the old cam, I drilled a hole in through the side opposite the pin and in through the other side just to where the pin stopped. Then I drove it out as pretty as you please. The metal isn't that hard in that part of the cam. I moved the spacer to the new cam and pressed in the old pin (perfect shape) with my bench vise. Jeff
1962 Ford Econoline Pickup

I should have done that. I ordered one from Clay Smith. They were cool but its funny having to wait for the smallest part on the whole car before you can begin to get the valve train in and head back on! Now if I could just find a doggone NOS head gasket!!!

78 granada":2dbg0fgz said:
Looking at the original gasket I pulled, I just can't bring myself to use it. The cylinder holes seem to have squeezed out of round. Hey you guys, I tried to get a cam pin ('78 250) from NAPA and no go. Where can I get one? The one in the old cam WILL NOT come out. See Ya!!

The bore holes in the gasket are not quite round, even the newer composite (felpro/victor) are like that. I would still not re-use it though, they were leak prone 50 years ago new... Go with the victor as it is thinner.

Back